Regulators and pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summa_Brewologica

Reaction score
I have noticed that every time I carb my keg, I will set my pressure to say 12 psi for set and forget. Ill hear the tank and see the gauge rise to 12 psi. I’ll go back the next day and the gauge will read 9 psi or something less than what I set it. So I would always just turn the knob and set the pressure again.

I thought it was just my regulator, however, I recently got four duotight inline regulators for my kegerator build. I noticed that the pressure dropped even using this so I turn it back up to get to pressure.

I am assuming this is normal because l have leak tested everything and see no indication of leaks.

So my question is: shouldn’t the tank be automatically feeding co2 to maintain the pressure I set? I was hoping someone could explain how regulators work in relation to pressure. I know how everything works, in theory, but I don’t understand what’s happening in the scenario I outlined.

I think I figured this out. I’ve always cranked the regulator until it hits the pressure then back it off until it stops. Not all the way open but too much. I think I back it off too much and even when the gauge says 12, the regulator is set to like 8 or something.

So when the co2 dissolves into solution the pressure drops and then it is holding at that lower pressure.

If anyone else has any ideas or critiques of that please let me know. I’m having a hard time understanding the balance between the regulator and keg pressure. I assume they both effect the gauge.

The easiest way to set the pressure is disconnect it from the keg first and then rotate the knob/screw clockwise slowly until the pressure you want is on the gauge. Yes, of course if you back off the knob, you are setting a lower pressure than whatever you arrived at when you were further clockwise. If you overshoot the desired pressure, you have to vent the hose or you can pull the PRV on the regulator if it has one.

Last edited:
I was hoping someone could explain how regulators work in relation to pressure.

i think the reg and gauge use a soring, which is slow to respond to a certain accuracy? i usually kill the shut off on the reg before i set the reg, faster to respond that way...but usually they creep up in my experience....

Back