Irish Red Ale Red Riding Hood

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude3516

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale US-05
Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Very malty, with notes of honey from the specialty grain. Very smooth.
First AG Recipe submitting to HBT, so be gentle, but I made this for a buddies baby shower and was actually kind of mad I had given it away. Now I've got the last bits of the keg sitting in my house and another batch fermenting along.

Three weeks primary because I forgot about it for a bit, and hops could actually be increased in this recipe, as the honey malt has a strong flavor.

Ingredients:
————
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caraaroma (130.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Liberty @ 60min (14.1 IBUs)
0.50 oz Columbus @ 30min (17.6 IBUs)
1 Pkgs SAFALE US-05 (White Labs #WLP001)

I dough in at around 132 on my grainfather as it raises to 152 mashing temp. Mash for a full hour with pump running and then actually sparged with room temp water. Got lazy and just didn't heat it. Didn't really seem to affect anything though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to split this in half and do a batch for my 2.5 gallon keg. Will post how it turns out! Figured since no one else seemed to have brewed this, I'll be your test subject haha. I've brewed 3 or 4 different reds so far and I haven't really been in love with any of them.

Hey treacheroutexan. Did you get this brewed?
dude3516, looks like a great recipe. I'm a distiller in my other life and really dig the grains you chose.
I just pitched yeast on 5 gallons of this yesterday and I will certainly pop back in with results --BARRING any major newbie problems. (I've been fighting a water issue and think it's finally fixed)

You could have fun if you drank a few of these and made people pronounce it in German to get another one.

Rotkäppchen (rote-cape-shen)

Kleine (cline-ah) Rotkäppchen (Little Red Cap)

There's a statue of her with a wolf near the Hofbrauhaus in Munich.

Wow, hope you guys enjoy it. I still brew this regularly albeit in a 2.5 gallon config for my zymatic. Prost!

My second-ever successful beer, and it has perfect, pleasing red flavor without snags or surprises.
This new brewer is absolutely blown away with this recipe. Even IF I'm a complete idiot.

red riding hood.jpg

You could have fun if you drank a few of these and made people pronounce it in German to get another one.

Rotkäppchen (rote-cape-shen)

Kleine (cline-ah) Rotkäppchen (Little Red Cap)

There's a statue of her with a wolf near the Hofbrauhaus in Munich.

Noch einmal, bitte!

Back