Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readybrew

Reaction score
So I want to try my first "original" recipe but thought I would post it before brewing it to make sure I am not way off.
This will be a 11 gallon batch
25lb. 2 row
3lb. crystal 10
2lb Munich
2lb. flaked wheat
1.5lb. VIenna
1lb. cara-pil

MAsh at 152 for 60 min.

60min 2oz Summit
60 min. 2 oz Norhtern Brewer
30min 1oz. Centennial
30min 1oz Summit
30 min 2oz Williamette
flameout 3oz Cascade
Dry hop with centennial and cascade

My only suggestion would be to move the 30 min additions to 10-20 minutes. if you need more biterness than increase the 60 min additions and at 10-20 they will serve the flavor purpose beast!

I'd look at the grainbill, with the goal of simplifying a bit. You've got quite a mish-mash there, with the flaked wheat and even 4% Vienna malt.

What are your goals, and why all the ingredients?

You've got about 12% crystal malts, with the carapils and crystal 20L. That's ok if you're making an American amber but I'd consider mixing it up and using 1 pound of 80L and 1 pound of 20L, instead of all that light crystal.

I'd simplify it a bit, and go with EITHER the flaked wheat (and less of it) or the carapils, as they have the same purpose. I'd probably either get rid of the Vienna malt, or increase it, depending on why it was in there.

Now, as far as the hopping, that's going to be one bitter beer! Like peel the taste buds off of your tongue bitter, with no hops flavor at all. Is that what you want? Are you wanting the bitterness, or more hops flavor? If you want to have a nice balance, I'd get rid of most of the bittering hops and move them to later in the boil, so there is some flavor and aroma. A mish-mash of hops can make a beer taste "muddy" so I'd choose which hops to use, instead of all those varieties. Like this:

2.00 oz Summit [18.50 %] (60 min) Hops 48.4 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (10 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (15 min) Hops 3.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (flame out)
2.00 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (Dry Hop) Hops -

I figure it's 1.080+ and over 100 IBU. You really can't even make a beer over 100 IBUs.

I'd drop the carapills and sub sugar to get it to end dryer. I'd also spread out the 30 minutes additions to 20-0. Shoot for 1.080 and 80 IBUs.

Just brew it. I'd drink it.

Thanks for the input. I am going to change the hops schedule but I already ground my grains so just have to see how it turns out. Not really sure what my goals were other than having a big hoppy IPA and wanting to try something different. I have read books on recipe formulation but unfortunatly for me I learn best by making mistakes.

Back