Recipe Feedback - 3 Northern Brewer Kits (SMASH Session, Irish Red, Nut Brown)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGibb

Reaction score
Hey there everybody, can you help a fellow brewer out by checking on the kits I just ordered? I’ve been brewing for around 10-15 years off and on, and my brother has brewed with me 3 or 4 times. I am planning on doing a massive brew day next weekend with my brother and cranking minimum two of these batches out. I just got these three kits from Northern Brewer’s Columbus Day Sale ($14.92 each + yeast), and the reviews were generally good but not stellar.

Northern Brewer SMASH Session Ale – Simcoe/Pils

Northern Brewer Irish Red

Northern Brewer Nut Brown Ale

Are there any simple additions that anybody would suggest that I make to the above recipes (specifically to add a bit more mouthfeel and complexity to the Nut Brown or to a lesser degree the Irish Red)?

Should I keep with the yeast suggested? I’ve just got the DanStar dry Notty for the Nut Brown and Irish Red, I have to go pick up the yeast for the SMASH separately.

Looking forward to some feedback, thanks!

Although I cannot provide any suggestions to your original question, I can say that I too purchased three kits during the sale. I got the Irish Red, the Nut Brown and the Spiced Winter kits. I'm interested to hear what others may have to say about additions to the two that we have in common. Happy brewing!!

I got 3 kits as well. The SMASH, the American Wheat, and the Irish Red. I'm going to use the Gold LME from the Irish Red with the Simcoe hops from the SMASH and do a Simcoe IPA (will use 1 oz more Simcoe than came with the kit). I'll use the Pilsen LME from the SMASH and 1 oz more of the Goldings hops and do a saison with 3711. And lastly, I'll do a raspberry Berliner weisse out of the American Wheat kit. Done.

I've brewed the Nut Brown Ale kit several times and on one kit added 1/2 lb toasted oatmeal, lactose and chocolate and cherry extract at bottling time. Turned out well.

Does this mean 1/2 lb toasted oatmeal at steep and lactose (1/2 lb?) at 10min? What was the schedule for that stuff?

The 1/2 lb toasted oatmeal was steeped with the other grains at 160 f for 45 min, then sparged with 170 f water. The one lb lactose was added 5 min before flameout. The chocolate and cherry extract (2 oz ea) was added to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar.

Latest posts

Back