Recipe: crituqe what i've got boiling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i thought this was for fun, so i'd post it in my comfort zone...

i got like another 30-40 minutes on the boil...recipe was

sprouted barley, over sprouted, damn! but the experiement was kilning at 200f from the start instead of letting the oven creep up on 170f...

super clean in the dryer...instead of the usual 40L 60L it looks like, it looks like 10L munich.

and here comes the reason for this post....i've got like 50lbs of hops people just keep trying to get rid of on me, because they know i'll use them! ;)

i was trying to get some freezer space, just grabbed a couple bags of hops out...ended up with 4.5ozs tetennager, 2016, and 8ozs liberty ditto 2016...the tet was vacum seal tet open...

i decided f it, i still got two 22lb bags of crystal hops sitting on the couch i gotta open up! and added the tet for 60, and the liberty for ~20min......

i ended up only getting around 62% effec with the malt and had to add 4lbs of table sugar....

Do you think it will taste hoppy even if i don't do lodo? ;) :mug:

Do you think it will taste hoppy even if i don't do lodo? ;) :mug:

You didn't state your volume, but I assume 10 gal.? (Also didn't give alpha acid of hops.) But it sounds like a good dose ot hops, and you can't go wrong with Tett and Liberty. A little oxygen will just mellow the brew. :p

You didn't state your volume, but I assume 10 gal.? (Also didn't give alpha acid of hops.) But it sounds like a good dose ot hops, and you can't go wrong with Tett and Liberty. A little oxygen will just mellow the brew. :p

i think it was ~5% for both of them. and honestly..it's weird my fermenter is bubbling 10-15 minutes after pitching dry yeast? i didn't even stir it in...going to be an interesting brew! gotta say looks like what i see people shoot for a NEIPA!, maybe i should dry hop it too, grab another anonymous bag...but i think i'll wait and see how this turns out first for next round, of "bulk hop brewing"...

.it's weird my fermenter is bubbling 10-15 minutes after pitching dry yeast?
And I thought I had a fast start at 3 hrs. !

Id say your hop schedule is pretty standard isn't it? I'm more curious about the malt. Was straight to 200f an experiment too, or is that pretty typical?

And I thought I had a fast start at 3 hrs. !

Id say your hop schedule is pretty standard isn't it? I'm more curious about the malt. Was straight to 200f an experiment too, or is that pretty typical?

it still hasen't 'taken off' but it's bubbling...about a bubble every 3-4 seconds....

and i usually only use 2 ozs or 1.5oz in a 10 gallon batch, but this batch i decided to go crazy! i figured i had like gallon sized hop bags and all the damn near decade old hops i want...why not ;)

yes straight to 200f was a test to see what color taste i get, normaly i set the oven to 170f, and it starts out that way, then when i shoot an ir at it in the morning, it's 200..

boiling the hops in this lightened the color a lot! it went from dark amber, to milky tan....

Back