Recent brewing developments

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruderalis

Reaction score
Hi, I used to homebrew quite a lot. I made a lovely weissbier with a banana/clove balance for many years, until I met someone that didn't drink. She traded veganism and I traded brewing and we've been together ever since, happy under this compromise. Then the pandemic hit. She discovered that the new styles of beer were very appealing to her, especially NEIPA. She's a hop-head, that had only previously tried beer in an era before hops became so overpowering.

So, here I am completely re-learning brewing after a dozen years, and after a complete sea-change in the hobby. Kveik yeasts, total preference changes in hop varieties/flavors/usage, and the technological innovations have all proven to be challenging yet fascinating.

I've already nailed a NEIPA recipe for her, though it tastes like orange juice that's been soaked in skunky cannabis to me, she certainly loves it and prefers it to anything that we have available in stores.

I've foregone the need to perfect styles and have decided to focus solely on designing recipes for specific people, after realizing that individual taste preferences are all that really matters. My next challenge is in developing a RIS for an old friend as a surprise gift. His favorite beers tend to start very dry and have a delicate malty finish with almost no aftertaste, so I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Cheers

Welcome back Ruderalis. I too recently returned to the hobby. I changed almost every piece of my brewing equipment including converting to all electric. And I too have been amazed at the different equipment and ingredients we now have to choose from. This forum is very
informative and appreciated for helping us perfect our brews.

Happy brewing.

Back