Question on this Flying Dog Porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoreHopsPlz

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to the great home brewing experience (sticking to extract with grain brewing for now - have made 2 IPA batches) and have a few questions on this Flying Dog Porter recipe I got from Brew Your Own mag December 2006.

1) The recipe listed below calls for hops additions at 90, 60, 30, zero min (and then the dry hop addition). Then the recipe states "add first charge of hops and boil for 60 minutes..." This is really a 90 min boil right? I am assuming that the hop additions stated are when the wort is under boil / is there any other explanation?

2) I don't have a beverage cooler. Can I just use a separate pot on the stove to keep the grains steeping at 155 degrees (kept covered with a lid)?

3) Considering the length of the boil, how much water do you think I will be adding at the end? (I know that is likely challenging to predict with variability in the burner used, pot, using a lid, etc - though rough estimates welcome.) I was planning on using a large pot on the stove for the grain steep and a larger turkey fryer pot and burner (only dedicated to brewing) for the main boil.

4) Excited to try a porter loaded with Cascade, though, do you think 4 oz is, (difficult to say) "too much" to dry hop in 5 gallons? Would you notice a big difference if it was 2 or 3 oz rather than 4? (not sure how hop aromatics / flavor behave really given a specific volume of beer)

5) Any other considerations or things to consider with this recipe?

Thanks for any kind advice, I am hopeful that this turns out great,
-MHP

Flying Dog Gonzo Porter (Imperial Porter) Clone

5 gallons/19 L, extract with grains; OG = 1.088 FG = 1.025; IBU = 75 SRM = 84 ABV = 8.1%

Ingredients:

3.0 lbs. (1.4 kg) Briess Light dried malt extract
6.75 lbs. (3.1 kg) Alexander’s Pale liquid malt extract (late addition)
2.5 lbs. (1.1 kg) crystal malt (120 °L)
1.0 lb. (0.45 kg) black malt
0.5 lb. (0.23 kg) chocolate malt
5.5 AAU Warrior hops (90 mins) (0.34 oz./9.7 g of 16% alpha acids)
9.4 AAU Northern Brewer hops (60 mins) (1.0 oz./30 g of 9% alpha acids)
9.4 AAU Northern Brewer hops (30 mins) (1.0 oz./30 g of 9% alpha acids)
3.0 oz. (85 g) Cascade hops (0 mins) 4.0 oz. (114 g) Cascade hops (dry hops)
Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) or White Labs WLP001 (California Ale) yeast (3 qt./~3 L yeast starter)
0.75 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step:

Heat 5.5 quarts (5.2 L) of water to 166 °F (74 °C) and pour into 2-gallon (7.6-L) beverage cooler. Place crushed specialty grains in a nylon steeping bag and submerge. Stir grains well, tie off bag lightly and seal cooler. Let grains steep, starting at 155 °F (68 °C), for 30 minutes. While grains are steeping, heat 2.0 gallons (7.6 L) of water to a boil in your brewpot and 2.5 qts. (2.4 L) of water to 180 °F (82 °C) in a large kitchen pot. Run off “grain tea” and add to boiling water in brewpot. Add the 2.5 qts. (2.4 L) of 180 °F (82 °C) water to the cooler, untie bag, stir grains and let sit for 5 minutes.

Run off remaining “grain tea” and add to brewpot. Add dried malt extract and bring to a boil. Add first charge of hops and boil for 60 minutes, adding other hops at times indicated in the ingredient list. With 15 minutes left in boil, stir in half of the liquid malt extract; add the remaining half at the end of the boil. (Keep the boil clock running when adding extract.) Let wort sit 15 minutes before cooling. Cool wort and transfer to fermenter. Add water to make 5 gallons (19 L), aerate well and pitch yeast.

1) I would go with the ingredients list over the instructions. Prob just a typo.

2) That works just fine. You just need a 2nd vessel, and I wouldn't be too anal about keeping it right at 155. Nothing in the grain bill needs mashing, just keep it under 170 or so and let it sit for 30min.

3) Only you know your boil off rate. Just boil some water for a period of time and measure the difference if you want to know beforehand.

4) Not too much at all, but 4-5oz for 5 gallons is nearing what I do for IPAs or very hoppy beers. If you don't want an IPA dry hop profile in a porter, back it off to what you think you might prefer.

Enjoy!

Back