Question about reviving old yeast and proper pitch rates...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bisco_Ben

Reaction score
Greetings everyone, so here's the deal... Earlier today, I realized that I had an old (12/19/2012) pack of wyeast munich lager that has been in the back of my fridge. I figured what the hell, lets revive this thing and brew up a Maibock recipe that I've been messing around with for some time now. So i just put together a 1.8L starter with a bunch of yeast nutrient and threw it on the stir plate. I will let it go as long as it needs to get itself going again (that is if it even gets going, but a guy can dream right?!:fro:) I am trying to brew up 5.5 gallons of a 1.070 maibock, but am completely confused on how big this starter needs to be. Mr Malty suggests something like a 3.21L starter, but with 177 packets?! I dont understand, can I just make a 3.21L starter with this one old packet and be done with it? If not, how many liters do I need to ferment before its ready? Any insight on how big this starter should be, considering the very old date of the smack-pack, would be very much appreciated! :tank:

Good luck, but with yeast over 480 days old it really may be dead. Just in case. The older the yeast is, the lower the starter wort gravity should be. Would have been better to make a half liter starter of 1.001 wort to check for signs of life without using up a lot of DME.
The calculator I like to use.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Latest posts

Back