Purging disconnect transfer lines with pressurized keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CyberFox

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to purge lines in a specific way. Here's a scenario:
I have two lines (liquid-to-liquid and gas-to-gas disconnect transfer lines) that I need to purge.
I have a pressurized keg that I can use to run CO2 through the lines.

I have two questions:
1)
If I connect one end of a transfer line to the pressurized keg, how do I open up the other side to run the CO2 through?

2) Is it okay to use silicone tubing for the disconnect transfer lines? If not, what tubing material would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

1) If you have one end connected to the pressurized keg you can just push the small pin inside the ball lock connector on the other end and that will let the gas (or whatever is in the keg) flow through the line.

2) I think Evabarrier is the preferred line to reduce oxygen getting in through the tubing, but if it’s a short distance for a brief time it might not make too much of a difference. There was a recent thread discussing how much oxygen would permeate a silicone transfer line that you might check out for more info, if oxygenation is your concern.

You gave me the exact information I needed. Thanks a lot!

I don't like reaching into disconnects myself so I use the plastic carb caps
https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/fermzilla-carbonation-cap.htmlHere's my 'Cleaning/Sanitizing/Purging set:
IMG_1442.jpg

I can just turn the bottle upside down to force CO2 through the lines to purge and pressurize.
For Transfer hose, I use the 3/8" Bevlex 200 which is rated for 50 PSI.
:mug:

I'm trying to figure out how to purge lines in a specific way. Here's a scenario:
I have two lines (liquid-to-liquid and gas-to-gas disconnect transfer lines) that I need to purge.
I have a pressurized keg that I can use to run CO2 through the lines.

I have two questions:
1)
If I connect one end of a transfer line to the pressurized keg, how do I open up the other side to run the CO2 through?

2) Is it okay to use silicone tubing for the disconnect transfer lines? If not, what tubing material would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

The one thing I don't assume you're planning on doing (that you really should), is doing a full displacement purge of the receiving keg. Fill it to the top with water, add 1oz of starstan, close the lid and then roll it around a bit to mix. Then hook up your liquid QD to the liquid out, install a jumper on your gas QD and then couple it to the other end of the liquid jumper hose. Finally, dispense out all the starsan into a bucket through both hoses. You can free flow the end by clipping this barbed free flow fitting in. When the keg empties, it will start blowing CO2. Just disconnect the far end ball lock fitting to seal CO2 into both hoses.
1672785169298.png
1672785203327.png

The one thing I don't assume you're planning on doing (that you really should), is doing a full displacement purge of the receiving keg. Fill it to the top with water, add 1oz of starstan, close the lid and then roll it around a bit to mix. Then hook up your liquid QD to the liquid out, install a jumper on your gas QD and then couple it to the other end of the liquid jumper hose. Finally, dispense out all the starsan into a bucket through both hoses. You can free flow the end by clipping this barbed free flow fitting in. When the keg empties, it will start blowing CO2. Just disconnect the far end ball lock fitting to seal CO2 into both hoses.
View attachment 809449View attachment 809450
I was actually planning on using the CO2 from fermentation to purge the receiving keg (transferring CO2 from the kegmenter into the receiving keg and exhausting the receiving keg into sanitizer). I heard that it does a good job of thoroughly purging the keg of oxygen. Those are some good tips you gave me though and I'll keep them in mind. Thanks.

Then in that case, you can just use both hoses in that process and they will be purged too. I would still use that male QD to hose barb fitting and put a piece of sacrificial tubing on there to stay in the starsan bucket. You really don't want a grew QD sitting in starsan for a month.

Then in that case, you can just use both hoses in that process and they will be purged too. I would still use that male QD to hose barb fitting and put a piece of sacrificial tubing on there to stay in the starsan bucket. You really don't want a grew QD sitting in starsan for a month.
Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

Back