Pure O2 oxygenation formula

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserghost

Reaction score
I haven't brewed in a while and am revving up for a brew day. One of the things I needed to refresh my memory on was how long I was running my pure 02 tank (through a .5 micron stone) to oxygenate the wort before pitching. I have a medical regulator on the tank and can control the flow down to .12 liters/minute. Historically, I think I'd run it at 1 liter/minute for 60 seconds for 5.5 gallons of 1.060 wort, and run it a little longer if it was a bigger beer, but it was mostly guess work, though the results were always good.

————

Re-reading Chris White and Jamil's book, YEAST (pp 77–84, "How Much Oxygen Is Needed?") it states that for 5.3 gal of 1.077 wort, you would run oxygen at 1 lpm for 1 minute through a .5 micron stone to reach an ideal ~9.2 ppm dissolved oxygen. For higher gravity beers, or larger batches you would need to use more yeast, and therefore more oxygen.

————

I was playing around to come up with a formula to accurately oxygenate a batch of wort based on volume and gravity, but I'm not really sure if this is solid or not. Maybe the actuals are not quite so linear? Any feedback is appreciated!

(this is assuming pure O2 run through a .5 micron stone at 1 lpm to reach ~9.2 ppm dissolved O2)

————

FORMULA

(volume in gallons · gravity points) / 6.8 = time in seconds

————

EXAMPLES

(5.3 · 77) / 6.8 = 60s

(5.3 · 57) / 6.8 = 44s

(15 · 67) / 6.8 = 148s

(.75 · 80) / 6.8 = 9s

yeast starter (.5 · 37) / 6.8 = 3s

————

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I have Aviation oxygen I run through a .5 Stone. I don't have a volume regulator all's I have is a pressure regulator. And I run it at 7 PSI anywheres between 1 and 2 minutes and always making a heavy Gravity beer never had a problem

Back