propane burner "backfire" ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
so, wondering if anyone has run into this before...

I am in my garage (door open) with my propane tank and bayou burner. I have used this burner for a couple of years now, but something strange happened today. I have just mashed in, and I turned off my propane flame (I only turned the flame plus/minus regulator all the way down... the open/close on the propane tank was still on) and wrapped my mash. about 3-4 minutes later i saw the burner "backfire". I dont know a better way to describe it, but it kind of went "whoosh" and i saw a little flame/spark on the burner for just a brief second. After I saw this I turned off the propane at the tank (open/close dial) and I didnt see that again.I have followed this exact mashing procedure dozens of times without this happening.

does this sound like something youve seen before? I am kind of wondering if it was crushed malt dust that caused it? or what does everyone think?

It seems like your regulator is/was leaking or it was still was still on very low.

If it was from pressure from the tank there would have had to be something that stayed very hot to ignite the propane.

ya thats a good thought. i went back and tried to light the burner again for my sparge water and the flame came on really low before i turned it back on. must be something with the regulator as you suggested. thanks for the quick response!

Back