Pressed peaches & Campden tablet whoops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlutter

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About a month ago I pressed the last of my peaches and got about a half gallon of juice. I dosed it with one crushed Campden tablet, put an air lock on, and intended to freeze it after 24hrs so I could ferment it with some pressed cider once my apples were ready.

Well, life happened and I forgot about it for 5 days. When I saw it next, it appeared to be slowly fermenting. Not wanting to waste it, I just let it go to see what happened. Currently, it is sitting without any signs of activity and has cleared pretty nicely.

Was it a major mistake just to let it go? Assuming it tastes ok, does anyone see any problems with adding it to some perry or cider in secondary? What volume of perry/cider would you add it to? This is all juice from dessert apples and pears.

Considerations:
Taste it! You'll know immediately if there are off-flavors.

Check gravity to make sure it fully fermented.

The wild microbes may produce acetic acid in the presence of oxygen, so use standard precautions to avoid oxygen exposure.

Wild bacteria may conduct MLF over time if not inhibited by sulfite.

1 campdep per 1/2 gallon is a fairly high sulfite dosing, so I'm guessing that you only have wild yeast left and that most of the bacteria were killed, if not severely inhibited. You should be on track for a wild, but fairly "clean" fermentation.

Back