Premature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I shouldn't be posting in this forum yet. I'm not drunk yet.
Friday is normally my store bought beer night but I've had to fetch it forward an night.

I called into Asda and picked up 5 Ales including 4 bottle conditioned Ales, I stopped off on the way home and had a pint of Dog's Bollocks at the local real ale pub.
The first Store bought's Well's Banana Bread Beer.
bbb-bottle-web.jpg

"...fruity roughness of winter barley and toffeeish sweetness of crystal malt... hugely tempting aroma of bananas; creamy head; firm, silky body."
Michael Jackson

That's the one.

This is my next one.
27.jpg

ABV:
Bottle - 6.5%
Containers
8 x 500ml bottles

First brewed in 1998 to celebrate Shepherd Neame's tricentenary this bottle conditioned strong ale was relaunched in april 2005. 1698 is thrice hopped - hops are added three times during the brewing process which gives the beer a strong hop character. Serve lightly chilled and enjoy on its own or with game dishes , roast beef or even rich deserts.

Tasting notes:
A generously malty ale whose leisurely toffee ,butter and sultana flavours are kept clean and balanced by the lavish use of fragrant Kentish hops - Andrew Jefford
Tasting notes by Peter Ogie, Famous Beer Writer

ABV:
Bottle - 6.5%
Containers
8 x 500ml bottles

orfy said:
I shouldn't be posting in this forum yet. I'm not drunk yet.
Friday is normally my store bought beer night but I've had to fetch it forward an night.

I called into Asda and picked up 5 Ales including 4 bottle conditioned Ales, I stopped off on the way home and had a pint of Dog's Bollocks at the local real ale pub.
The first Store bought's Well's Banana Bread Beer.
bbb-bottle-web.jpg

"...fruity roughness of winter barley and toffeeish sweetness of crystal malt... hugely tempting aroma of bananas; creamy head; firm, silky body."
Michael Jackson

Damn, there's actually a beer called Dog's Bollocks? I thought I had an original name there. :( Is it an IPA?

Banana Bread, huh? Sounds interesting!

By the brewers of Hobgoblin, one of my favorites, I have a AG clone on the go.

pumpclip_dogs_bollocks_2005.gif

Dog's Bollocks - 5.2% ABV
Malt: Wheat/Cara/Crystal
Hops: Styrians

Dog’s Bollocks was first brewed in 1994/5 and quickly became a classic with cult status. Described as ‘big, round and fruity’, Dog’s is a full-bodied Golden Retriever-coloured brew. It combines Cara malt and malted wheat with Styrian hops from Slovenia to give a bite of fruit flavours.

Quite why St Bernard dogs have traditionally carried brandy is a mystery . A good nip of Dog’s Bollocks would be enough to bring anyone round. If you're a fan, we have Dog's Bollocks merchandise available from our Brewery Shop.

Well poop.

Oh well, I'm keeping mine. I named it after a quote form Russ Mitchell, of Exile Cycles: "This (motorcycle) is going to be the dog's bollocks, mate." So, Wychwood be damned. :D Plus, for the label, why not an English Bulldog?

From the debatable movie "formula 51":
Dogs Bollocks:Good
Awh Bollocks: Bad

that's the most I have researched the topic. I just got home after stopping witht a couple friends for a couple more Killians, and now I am on my 3rd ,5L of #97a Skibbereen Pale Ale, and I think I am starting to "feel it".......I am sad, though, because I tested my stout tonight, and it is not going well....I am going to give it anotyher month, and then call it.

is anyone else out there on my wavelength (getting there, so to speak) right now?

Truble said:
From the debatable movie "formula 51":
Dogs Bollocks:Good
Awh Bollocks: Bad

that's the most I have researched the topic. I just got home after stopping witht a couple friends for a couple more Killians, and now I am on my 3rd ,5L of #97a Skibbereen Pale Ale, and I think I am starting to "feel it".......I am sad, though, because I tested my stout tonight, and it is not going well....I am going to give it anotyher month, and then call it.

is anyone else out there on my wavelength (getting there, so to speak) right now?

Just tapped my vanilla porter today. Wife is away making herself look pretty. I am riding the "wavelength"

anthrobe said:
Just tapped my vanilla porter today. Wife is away making herself look pretty. I am riding the "wavelength"

GOOD FORM!!!

The SWMBO's estimated ETHome is ~65 minutes..I am now a standing wave of homebrewaliciousness!!!!

Just got back from a local eatery/bar. Had dinner/beers with ORRELSE, his SWMBO, his bro-in-law, and my roomate. Had a Hop Devil and three Alpha Kings.

I'm getting there.

P.S. 60 Minute tastes like poo after Alpha King. :(

I am jealous of your vicinity to other HBenthusiasts-I am trying to gather a herd where I am, but there are a lot of loners.....

DeRoux's Broux said:
i'm about to get ****faced. tired of no job, wife, parents.....here go's.....start'n w/ Hop Rod Rye!!!!!

DAY-UMM...good way to start.....

I'm well on my way to an ugly night. It is Friday (for me) and the first day of a nice 4 day break from work. Tomorrow I'm gonna goof around with the Jeep (various projects) and then the rest of the weekend is devoted to football and family.

Right now I'm drinking a Three Floyds Robert the Bruce (Thanks Sam) , peat smoked goodness that it is.....this beer is excellent IMHO.

Next up are a few more treasures I have waiting....

Claymore Wee Heavy......Great Divide Hot Shot ESB.......Belhaven Scottish Ale.......and thennnnn

the hound and i are eating popcorn and atching the Stars spank the Cap's....

ORRELSE said:
DAY-UMM...good way to start.....

I'm well on my way to an ugly night. It is Friday (for me) and the first day of a nice 4 day break from work. Tomorrow I'm gonna goof around with the Jeep (various projects) and then the rest of the weekend is devoted to football and family.

Right now I'm drinking a Three Floyds Robert the Bruce (Thanks Sam) , peat smoked goodness that it is.....this beer is excellent IMHO.

Next up are a few more treasures I have waiting....

Where did you get that quote from DeRoux....you got ESP? :D

Glad you like the Robert the Bruce. I didn't much care for it. I was hoping for more smoke!

DeRoux....I need to get my hands on some Claymore. I tried Bellhaven a while back....loved it.

Sam75 said:
Just got back from a local eatery/bar. Had dinner/beers with ORRELSE, his SWMBO, his bro-in-law, and my roomate. Had a Hop Devil and three Alpha Kings.

I'm getting there.

P.S. 60 Minute tastes like poo after Alpha King. :(

Dont forget the license plate

Sam75 said:
DeRoux....I need to get my hands on some Claymore. I tried Bellhaven a while back....loved it.

i'll give you the recipe for the Claymore....'cause it's mine :D

ORRELSE does have ESP......:eek:

I've just had one of thos Charles Wells Banana Bread Beers Orfy. I must say it is one of the most unusual beers I have tasted. Very strong on banana (surprisingly ;)) and toffee taste. I think the bitterness is a little too harsh, which leads to a stronger aftertaste than I think would suite. Not bad, but I couldn't drink it all night.

BlightyBrewer said:
I've just had one of thos Charles Wells Banana Bread Beers Orfy. I must say it is one of the most unusual beers I have tasted. Very strong on banana (surprisingly ;)) and toffee taste. I think the bitterness is a little too harsh, which leads to a stronger aftertaste than I think would suite. Not bad, but I couldn't drink it all night.

hey guy's, is it along the lines of a Dunkelweizen? or is the body different???:confused:

DeRoux's Broux said:
hey guy's, is it along the lines of a Dunkelweizen? or is the body different???:confused:
I was sort of curious along those lines when orfy posted that last night, but looking at the text he included it doesn't make mention of malt. I was wondering if it's a hefe yeast or just a particularly estery English ale yeast?

DeRoux's Broux said:

Never had a Dunkelweizen, so I'm afraid I don't know. I can honestly say that I am not enjoying it that much. One is definitely enough for me.

Man, I need to broaden my beer horizons! :(

BlightyBrewer said:
Never had a Dunkelweizen, so I'm afraid I don't know. I can honestly say that I am not enjoying it that much. One is definitely enough for me.

Man, I need to broaden my beer horizons! :(

try to find yourself a dunkelweizen and compare for us?

what the hell is a free trade banana? a monkey gave it to em :confused:

BlightyBrewer said:
Free trade = (3rd world) farmer given fair price for the crop rather than being ripped off by the greedy corporation.
man, the corporation is always gett'n a raw deal now days....:D

Latest posts

Back