Posts for trellis, lightning a concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rekrowten

Reaction score
Hey guys, finishing up a nice raised garden bed for my hops, I was about to finish setting my posts before my girlfriend mentioned the 10' galvanized poles would be lightning rods in the backyard. So naturally, I'm here to ask if anyone uses a similar set up and if there have been any incidents with lightning hitting your posts? I live in the midwest suburbs, there's plenty of large trees and such surrounding us and I guess my thought was its no more a lightning rod than a basketball hoop in someones backyard.

They do use galvanized poles for the large electric lines.

Funny story. I did feel like Doc from Back to the Future when I was running the wire between the poles. :)

They will be slightly more attractive than other things, but the tallest thing around is the most likely to be hit. When was the last time anything near you was struck. I have lived in this house for 16 1/2 years and have only had 1 or 2 really close strikes. Heard not seen.

Back