Possible mold in apple cider, no activity yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDizzystick

Reaction score
I bought 3 gallons of apple cider (Ryan's brand all-natural cider, unfiltered, flash-pasteurized, no preservatives) and pitched some Safale US-05 yeast on April 4th. The OG was 1.055. Today, April 6th, I spotted what looks to me like it might be some mold floating around the surface — small white clumps, with one of them having a bit of green in it.

If this is mold, I've read that I might be able to rack from underneath it into another carboy and add some new yeast to salvage it. Is this right?

Also, are the other larger floating clusters some of the yeast? Or is that just a crazy amount of mold?

Here is an Imgur album of the other photos I took of the cider today:
https://imgur.com/a/ImuV0

Below are two quick photos to show the stuff in question, one with flash on the other with no flash:
1Ebozz7.jpg

i0NCkxE.jpg

I have never seen mold in cider but with that said this looks like mold. 2 days is really quick for mold, did you not clean/sanitize your carboy?

I would rack like you said below the mold and then I would sulfite the batch with the recommended dose being careful not to overdose. Then you wait 24 hours and then drop new yeast.

I did sanitize the carboy, funnel, stopper, airlock, and hydrometer with StarSan, but I may have goofed up somewhere during that. I've made only a few batches of cider before but this is the first time I've had anything like this show up so I thought I'd see what others thought. Thanks for your reply.

Looks like a few blobs of gunk that were missed on the shoulder of the carboy, easy to do...sanitizer won't fix that...

Just to follow up: I racked the cider from underneath the mold to another carboy (kept a "buffer" of about 2 inches between the bottom of the auto siphon and the moldy surface), added potassium metabisulfite and left it for 24 hours, then added yeast.

After a few days of nothing I was about to give up hope, but then it started bubbling. It's been pretty active the last two or three days, so I'm hoping it's saved. I suppose it will come down to seeing if the mold had any impact on the final taste or anything.

Back