Possible Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nordoe

Reaction score
Hopefully I am just over reacting. But I have never seen yeast like this before. When I made a starter from Wyeast 3944 Belgian Witbier, it must have really had some type of reaction. The bottle the starter was it was covered to the top in residue. Did not think much of it. When I pitched it on Saturday, by Sunday morning the same thing in my carboy. This residue just completly covers the top of the carboy, I cant even see the top of the wort. I put 2 pictures below, the first is just a picture of the carboy last night. The second, is a picture of me gently tilting the carboy so i could see what was on the top of the wort. Tell me what you think? Is it natural?

It looks like its just a cream colored krausen mixed in with your hops. There isn't a lot of headspace in that carboy so I'm guessing it just forced it's way up that high. Does it smell funny?

I have not opened it, but i get no smell. The krausen didnt bother me as much as the the top of the wort. If you can see in the picture where I am tilting the carboy, the top is bubbly with a white layer. For a while i used plastic buckets so maybe i just never saw this stage.

The top of our beer is seldom perfectly clean, especially if it hasn't been long since the krausen dropped. There's almost always yeast rafts floating on the surface. It's really nothing to worry about.

No worries. If nothing else, it was an excuse for us to check out pictures of fermenting beer, which is always fun! :)

No worries. If nothing else, it was an excuse for us to check out pictures of fermenting beer, which is always fun! :)

thanks, East Stroudsburg huh. I went to school there. Thats where I learned to drink like a champion.

You will have to fight my wife, its her favorite. Belgian White, with chamomile, corriander and fresh Valencia orange zest.

In that case, you DEFINITELY don't want to drink that beer. I'll dispose of it for you though, cause I'm such a nice guy.

By the way, how much does your wife weigh, and does she know any Ka ra tay?

In that case, you DEFINITELY don't want to drink that beer. I'll dispose of it for you though, cause I'm such a nice guy.

By the way, how much does your wife weigh, and does she know any Ka ra tay?

Doesnt weigh more then me, but can still kick ass.

Back