Please Help! White Foam on Wine!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CopperSavy

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my very first time brewing wine.. brewing anything for that matter! I attached pictures for you to take a better look. There is this white layer of foam? I thought it was mold at first but it’s not furry at all. Just very foamy. I read about something called krausen but I feel like mine doesn’t look like that..

I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 160D8AFA-D9F9-4B89-B1C3-4B17C6FF5B3B.jpeg
    160D8AFA-D9F9-4B89-B1C3-4B17C6FF5B3B.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • FF1541D7-2270-49D3-9265-427A30B7C0EE.jpeg
    FF1541D7-2270-49D3-9265-427A30B7C0EE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
Hello,
This is my very first time brewing wine.. brewing anything for that matter! I attached pictures for you to take a better look. There is this white layer of foam? I thought it was mold at first but it’s not furry at all. Just very foamy. I read about something called krausen but I feel like mine doesn’t look like that..

I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks in advance.

That's a good thing! That means that the yeast is fermenting the must (what wine is before yeast is added) and it looks great!

Wine makes a different type of foam than krausen does with beer brewing. With wine, you aren't brewing and the proteins in beer wort are far different than the substances in juice for wine, so that's why this isn't looking like a krausen you may see when you look it up.

That's a good thing! That means that the yeast is fermenting the must (what wine is before yeast is added) and it looks great!

Wine makes a different type of foam than krausen does with beer brewing. With wine, you aren't brewing and the proteins in beer wort are far different than the substances in juice for wine, so that's why this isn't looking like a krausen you may see when you look it up.

Thank you so much for your explanation! I was beginning to get very nervous I ruined my first brew. I appreciate it!

Thank you so much for your explanation! I was beginning to get very nervous I ruined my first brew. I appreciate it!

Nope! In fact, look for that on any future brew you make, it's a sign of an active fermentation.

If it's not green, fuzzy, and/or smelly, it's probably fine.

After adding yeast nutrient and pitching yeast if your juice is at 23C it will look like that, if 1.5 L of juice isn't siphoned off prior to pitching yeast you will have a mess when your airlock plugs up

Back