Please critique my 12 gallon full boil partial grain process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW210

Reaction score
Hope this is the right section for this... I'm not sure if I'm steeping or partial mashing?

So as a newer brewer with 8 batches under my belt, I decided to go to a full boil. I've done a few kits and a few clones and now a few of my own recipes. Only problem was I couldn't brew it fast enough. I decided to get a 15 gallon stockpot and start with 12 gallons. I feel like this will be my last stepping stone and after several more batches, I'll probably start some all grain brews. Here is my procedure for doing a partial grain and DME Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone.

I did a dry run with room temp water and could bring 12 gallons up to 150 degrees in 30'ish minutes, bring to a strong boil with another 10 minutes and cool from a strong boil to 66-68 degrees in 30 minutes with my home made wort chiller.

Here is my new SS 15 gallon pot and 5/8" x 25' chiller. I made the coils small enough to use with my 4 gallon stock pot for partial boils in the winter and tall enough for the big 15 gallon pot.

1002728tn.jpg

The 50amp electric stove was a bust and couldn't get above 195 degrees so I went to the turkey cooker instead. Here is my setup with a piece of coil used as a wind shield.

1002730h.jpg

Here is the water up to 150 degrees and my grain sock with a few pounds of grain. I kept the cooker going until it hit 155 degrees, then killed the flame. Once the temp went down to 150 degrees, I fired up the flame again until 155 and repeated. I did this for 40 minutes, then used the grain bag like a tea bag... dunking up and down for another 5 minutes. I don't know if it helped, but I had fun playing in the wort:D Seemed to help the color darken up just a bit. I then pulled the grain out and brought the temp up to 190-195 and added 3# of the DME I was planning on using. Stirred well and brought to a strong boil as seen here.

1002733vs.jpg

1002741i.jpg

Started my hop schedule and was surprised how little flame was needed to keep a strong boil once I was there.

With about 10 minutes left, I dunked my wort chiller in to sanitize until flame out in which I pulled out and placed in a smaller stock pot with a couple inches of sanitizing solution. Added the rest of my hops and DME, stirred well and placed back in.

1002745x.jpg

1002746w.jpg

Here is the cooler in action with a feed hose from the laundry tub faucet pushing 52 degree water through and then exiting into the drive. My cooler was $31 to make, the $20 25' coil of 5/8" copper and a $10 5/8" hose from Lowes, which was $10 cheaper than Menards? I cut the hose into two lengths which will work well for the kitchen or out my back door as shown. Might recirculate ice water with a pump next time, not sure if it will make any difference as the ice would melt resulting in warmer water.

1002747k.jpg

I planned on using 2 6 gallon carboys and a starter of washed yeast with a 2 cup water and 1/2 cup DME starter close to 20 hours old. Once the wort was cooled, I split the starter in half for each carboy and used my bottling bucket to split the wort equal with around 1 gallon per carboy back and forth. Once done, It looked to have the same amount of liquid and solids on the bottom.

Since I'm pretty happy with myself washing, here is a pic of my trub free washed yeast. This is my forth washing and this jar was 3 quarts jars of wash poured into one after settling and then decanting after stored in the frig for a few days. I split this up into 4 smaller jars for starters.

1002729m.jpg

Here is the finished product. 2 carboys with close to 5 gallons each ready to sit and wait it out in the basement.

1002749h.jpg

Comments or opinions please.

Everything looks great and I don't see any issues with your entire process! Congratulations! Get yourself a mash tun and you're ready to go AG!

The only comment I have is your connections to the Chiller. It looks as though you are just sliding the hose on. I would recommend some secure male and female hose fittings to ensure there is no leaking of water into your wort or an accidental blow off! :mug:

Edit: I noticed some scorching on your wind screen, you might want to make some adjustments so you don't catch anything in fire......Cheers!

Agreed. Process looks solid.

Regarding modification, my only question would be:
Did you hit your OG? If yes (or you were close), rest easy. If you missed, then continue partial mash until you hit or get close to OG a couple of times before moving to all grain.

Cheers

Back