Pink color without much flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with adding a pinkish hue to a wheat beer without changing the flavor much?

It's a hoppy wheat that's mashed high. Not so bitter, lots of hop flavor and aroma, slightly sweet finish. Here's the recipe:

Batch Size (fermenter): 9.00 l
Bottling Volume: 8.17 l
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 6.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 25.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.10 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (3.9 EBC) Grain 1 50.0 %
0.85 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 38.6 %
0.25 kg Wheat, Flaked (3.2 EBC) Grain 3 11.4 %
2.00 g Pacific Gem [15.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 Hop 4 9.1 IBUs
5.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 3.1 IBUs
8.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 6 7.5 IBUs
8.00 g Hallertau Blanc [9.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpo Hop 7 5.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 8 -
8.00 g Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
8.00 g Hallertau Blanc [9.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 D Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 2.20 kg
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Saccharification Add 16.97 l of water at 69.2 C 66.7 C 75 min
Mash Out Heat to 75.6 C over 7 min 75.6 C 10 min

Some things I'm specifically looking for:

1) If it's fruit (raspberry, strawberry, rhubarb), I don't mind it, wouldn't even mind a subtle hint of the flavor, just don't want it to dominate the hops. Not looking for red, or even bright pink, just a pinkish hue. Also, how much is the recommended amount usually (doing only 9L with this one)?

2) If it's just food coloring, will this mess with the yeast in any way? should it then just be added right before bottling?

Thanks for any suggestions!

4% meladonin malt in a hefe gives a pinkish tinge to the core. How pink are we talking here?

like breast cancer awareness pink? Or a hint of light red color?

I wonder if watermelon juice would be good? Some color and a lighter fruit flavor?

enough pink that you can tell that there is a pink hue. not so much that it's only pink. is there a such thing as golden pink?

back story behind the beer is that my sister loves boulevard's wheat. i made her try their 80-acre and she didn't like it. she basically sticks to boulevard wheat (which is simply boulevard to her, of course) and BMC beers. she thought 80-acre was too bitter. so basically i'm trying to cross those two for her. i'm visiting OK in June, and was hoping to brew this next week so that while it's bottle carbing I can stick it in my checked luggage and hope that it won't explode. She just found out she had a miscarriage so I'm wanting this one to be great. She's kinda a diva type girl, so I thought it would be cool/clever with a pink hue to it. So again, some pink, but not that it's overriding the golden wheat color altogether either. But not so little pink that a person would have to ask if it's a pink hue to it.

4-5% melanoidin or 20% red-x will work fine for that. It will make the flavor a bit more malty though.

Maybe some beet juice? Have you seen wacko from magic hat? It's pink/red but you can't taste the beet at all. Just enough to color; a little goes a long way

Back