Pie Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grampamark

Clowns to the left, jokers to the right
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It’s pie baking day a our house. Actually, the first of several over the next couple of weeks.

Today it’s apple pies for the annual turkey dinner that my wife’s church holds every year. Some to serve at the dinner and some to sell at the bazaar which is held along with the meal. My wife is an award winning pie baker (as are a couple other women in the congregation) and the pies are usually the first items to sell out.

My job was to peel, core, and slice 10 lbs of Granny Smiths. That’s made easier with one of those cheesy -looking but really quite efficient little countertop apple peelers. Simply impale the fruit on the prongs of the long screw and turn the crank. The apple ends up peeled, cored, and sliced into one long ribbon which is then cut into quarters, resulting in a neat stack of pie sized small slices.

48BA1F08-C791-49BB-AF00-2B653F482F2F.jpeg

Today’s the day. Annual turkey feed at the tiny Lutheran church on the prairie. One 20lb bird that went in at 2AM and two 7lb turkey breasts that went in at 5AM. Not pictured is the large baking dish of extra dressing which is still in the oven.

The pies in boxes will be sold at the bazaar, the three in bags are for dessert at the dinner.

4C8D3D94-0799-4964-86BC-E93383ECB15D.jpeg

EE7AEF0D-225B-44AC-9FDA-EA97210BAB22.jpeg

26872669-9648-4F9F-95A6-F737542E27E3.jpeg

Today’s the day. Annual turkey feed at the tiny Lutheran church on the prairie. One 20lb bird that went in at 2AM and two 7lb turkey breasts that went in at 5AM. Not pictured is the large baking dish of extra dressing which is still in the oven.

The pies in boxes will be sold at the bazaar, the three in bags are for dessert at the dinner.

View attachment 785612
View attachment 785609
View attachment 785611
Those are some darn nice looking pies! Lots of work. Nice job!

It’s pie baking day a our house. Actually, the first of several over the next couple of weeks.

Today it’s apple pies for the annual turkey dinner that my wife’s church holds every year. Some to serve at the dinner and some to sell at the bazaar which is held along with the meal. My wife is an award winning pie baker (as are a couple other women in the congregation) and the pies are usually the first items to sell out.

My job was to peel, core, and slice 10 lbs of Granny Smiths. That’s made easier with one of those cheesy -looking but really quite efficient little countertop apple peelers. Simply impale the fruit on the prongs of the long screw and turn the crank. The apple ends up peeled, cored, and sliced into one long ribbon which is then cut into quarters, resulting in a neat stack of pie sized small slices.

View attachment 784911

Fun Fact #1: There is a National Pie Day. It's January 23.
Fun Fact #2: National Pie Day is on the founder's birthday.
Fun Fact #3: National Pie Day was created by Charlie Papazian. RDWHAHB (or a piece of pie)

Pi day is also 3/14, and I'm not going to argue about it because why fight about excuses for having multiple days to celebrate eating pie

Why Dont We Have Both GIF

Pi day is also 3/14, and I'm not going to argue about it because why fight about excuses for having multiple days to celebrate eating pie

Why Dont We Have Both GIF
I was in geometry class and the the smart teacher kept saying pi r squared, pi r squared, pi r squared. I says, No!, pi are round - cornbread r squared.

No, just 2*Pi on June 28th (6/28...6.28319). It is the Applied Physics Labratory, so have to keep up our geek cred. Usually a pie eating contest too.

that's why i thought it be a heartier pie day? ;) :mug:

(i wanted to say something about radiuses also)

Back