Partigyle Candidate: BYO's Amazon Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninator

Reaction score
I want to tackle the Old Ale posted this month at BYO. It's a one gallon recipe, but it calls for more than 3 lbs of grain. I think it'll make a good winter beer, but I'm wondering whether, after running off the necessary wort for this beer, there would be enough residual sugar to make a smaller beer with the second runnings.

Can anybody lend me some insight here?

Amazon Old Ale
(1 gallon/3.8 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.086 FG = 1.020
IBU = 47 SRM = 24 ABV = 9.5%

Ingredients
2.8 lbs. (1.27 kg) Maris Otter pale ale malt
4 oz. (0.11 kg) Victory® malt (28 °L)
1.6 oz. (50 g) crystal malt (80 °L) (or Medium English Crystal)
1 pinch of black patent malt (~10-15 grains)
4 oz. (0.11 kg) blackstrap molasses or English treacle (first wort addition)
2.75 AAU Nugget hops (60 min.) (0.25 oz./7 g at 11% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1028 (London Ale) or White Labs WLP013 (London Ale) yeast
0.7 oz. (20 g) priming sugar (if bottling)

Anybody have any thoughts on this? If I'm looking at it right, I should be able to run off 1.5-2 gallons, for a 1 gallon batch at the stated OG, while still being able to produce another beer of the same volume at about 1.040. Am I looking at this correctly?

I did a split batch 50-50 and the second gravity runnings came out to 1.043
I was hoping that was right. Thanks for the confirmation.

So, looking at the malt bill, it looks like after making a dark old ale, I should be left with something resembling an ordinary bitter or possibly an English mild. Any thoughts on what I could do with these second runnings?

For instance, this seems like a pretty decent approximation of the grain bill and final gravity I expect from the second runnings.

Add a quarter ounce of EKG or Willamette at 60 minutes, and I should come out with a decent mild, in addition to a nice, warming Old Ale for the winter.

The beauty of partigyle is that you can add steeping grains to the second runnings to make a completely different style than the original grist. Cheers

The beauty of partigyle is that you can add steeping grains to the second runnings to make a completely different style than the original grist. Cheers
Sure, and I may explore that, but as my first attempt at this method, I'd like to try to figure out just what I can get from a straight 2-runnings brew.

In other words, I'm more interested in what the result will be of running off a second beer from exactly the same malt.

Back