Ohio brews? Help me make a list!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlazaroff

Reaction score
Here's the deal, I'm going to Ohio next month and I want some suggestions of some beers I should try that I can't get in Virginia. I have had numerous good suggestions from others on another forum, but I want a complete list.

Here's the list so far of suggestions that I've never had:
Great Lakes: Lake Erie Monster
Goose Island: Sofie, Night Stalker
AleSmith: Yulesmith, Speedway
The Bruery: Coton
Clipper City: (no suggestions)
Hoppin Frog: DORIS, BORIS, Wild Frog Wheat, Scotch Red, Turbo Shady Citrus, Mean Manalishi, HopDam
Thirsty Dog: Siberian Night, Cerberus
Jolly Pumpkin: (no suggestions)
Dark Horse: Double Crooked Tree
Buckeye Brewing: Seventy-Six ('76)
Brew Kettle: 4C's Pale Ale, Red Eye PA, Old 21 Imp IPA, Tunguska Imp Stout
Indigo Imp: Jester, Gatekeeper
Tommyknocker: (no suggestions)
Columbus Brewing Co.: Columbus IPA

where at in OH are you going?

Weasel Boy is in Zanesville, OH, along I70 about 1.5 hours east of columbus. They don't bottle anyting, but you could stop in for a beer or two or maybe pick up some growlers.

I'm pretty sure Goose Island is a Chicago (IL) brewery. Available in Ohio, but not technically an Ohio craft brew.

I'm in the Canton/akron area, and have enjoyed Hoppin Frog, Brew Kettle, Thirsty Dog, and of course Great Lakes. (All on your list already.)

One other I've tried and am impressed with is Indigo Imp (located in Cleveland). These guys insist on open fermentation!

Brewpubs I have not yet tried (not sure if bottled product is available):
- ROOBrew, near Univ. of Akron. Supposed to be good...
- Ohio Brewing Co., near Akron Aeros baseball park. Have not heard reviews.

Some links you might try:
http://www.ohiobeerguide.com/index.php/category/breweries/
http://www.ohiobrewweek.com/

Pax cerevisiae.
graybeard

I'm pretty sure Goose Island is a Chicago (IL) brewery. Available in Ohio, but not technically an Ohio craft brew.

I'm in the Canton/akron area, and have enjoyed Hoppin Frog, Brew Kettle, Thirsty Dog, and of course Great Lakes. (All on your list already.)

One other I've tried and am impressed with is Indigo Imp (located in Cleveland). These guys insist on open fermentation!

Brewpubs I have not yet tried (not sure if bottled product is available):
- ROOBrew, near Univ. of Akron. Supposed to be good...
- Ohio Brewing Co., near Akron Aeros baseball park. Have not heard reviews.

Some links you might try:
http://www.ohiobeerguide.com/index.php/category/breweries/
http://www.ohiobrewweek.com/

Pax cerevisiae.
graybeard

Thanks! I'll add Indigo Imp to my list.

I'm not really looking for brewpubs, but just stuff I can buy to bring home. Doesn't matter if its brewed in Ohio or not, I am just taking this opportunity to get stuff that I otherwise can't find where I live.

Indigo Imp's Jester is good, as is their Gatekeeper. A very unique brewery for sure!

Columbus Brewing Co. does sell bottle in local stores around town. Can usually find a couple different styles. I thinly Barleys sells growlers you can take home.

Columbus Brewing Co. does sell bottle in local stores around town. Can usually find a couple different styles. I thinly Barleys sells growlers you can take home.

Yeah, I'm not going to be near Columbus. I'll be visiting Alliance, Canton, Canal Fulton, Akron, Wadsworth, and MAYBE Cleveland.

if you can make it over to boardman you'll lose it if you stop in at Vintage Estates. they've been rated the #1 retail beer store in the world. about 800 beers to choose from plus some good food.

I see that you already listed the Great Lakes Brewing Company "Lake Erie Monster". Although I am sure that it is a great beer, spring for the Dortmunder Gold. It is their signature beer.

I see that you already listed the Great Lakes Brewing Company "Lake Erie Monster". Although I am sure that it is a great beer, spring for the Dortmunder Gold. It is their signature beer.

I've had all the Great Lakes beers except Monster, thats why it's on the list. My favorites are probably Burning River and Blackout Stout

elevator bottles the majority of theirs. The dark horse won gold, and i personally like the Heferweizen that they have (yes, it's a play on the spelling of the word and has a cow on the label).

I've seen Elevator bottles around Columbus, but not elsewhere.

Load up on Great Lakes beers, OP. Lake Erie Monster is a very nice IIPA, very resiny, but they have other good ones as well. Burning River Pale Ale and Eliot Ness are personal favorites of mine, but they make lots of great brews. I've never had a bad brew from them.

Goose Island out of Chicago makes some great beers, too. Night Stalker is particularly good if you're into stouts.

Great lakes have some great beers. I agree the Lake Erie Monster is very good. Try to find some Hoppin' Frog Brewing Co. beers. I think they make the best beers in Ohio. My favorites from Hoppin' Frog are any of the imperial stouts, the scotch ale, their DIPA, and the black and tan.

Back