Numbers off but still worked in the end

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
I readjusted my mill gap and removed my false bottom. Brewing under new conditions always has an educated guess as to where numbers will be.

I'm doing biab and letting it drip. 12 gallon batches. I had 31lbs of grain. By the time I came up to boil, the bag was still dripping pretty good. I know I left a good quart, up to a half gallon behind. I either need to let it continue to drip throughout the boil, or squeeze. I dont mind squeezing, and is probably the route I'll take, but what are the disadvantages to letting wort continue to drip throughout the boil?

Also, my boil off was over by a half gallon. I calculated 1.25 and ended up with 1.75. Missed final estimated volume by about a half gallon.

In the end, calculated efficiency was only off by .002. I think it was more by luck with as much that was off.

Several people in the BIAB section report that they leave the bag hang over the pot until the boil is done and by then the bag has quit dripping. No problems reported with that.

When you boil off liquid, what gets boiled off? The water, so just add it back if you are short on the volume unless your OG is already low.

My problem was that I had too much water preboil with more left that could have drained. It self corrected by boiling off more than expected. In the end, amount into fermenter wasnt off much at all, and OG was perfectly acceptable. Just got lucky in the end and need to rework my parameters.

Back