"Northeast" style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rippin_riles

Reaction score
Hey folks. I am planning a recipe and I have everything ready to go except for an Anvil o2 wand which has yet to be shipped. I am wanting to do a batch with A38 Juice but am wondering if it is best to hold off until I have a proper oxygenation method. I have searched this thread and read a lot about how Juice can have problems reaching target FG when oxygen, pitch rate, mash temp etc are not in order. Can I get some feedback on my grain bill and also a vote of confidence on if it is safe to brew and pitch Juice before the o2 wand comes in?

Grain:
71% viking xtra pale 2-row
7% torrified wheat
7% flaked wheat
7% flaked oats
7% dextrose

I'm BIAB and pretty new to it so I was thinking of a 90 minute mash at 150 instead of trying to pull off a stepped mash (no electric kettle). From what I have read on this thread, I think this grain bill + the dextrose will help attenuation but please correct me if I'm wrong. Target OG will be around 1.080 so I am planning to build a big starter of course. Target FG will be in the upper teens but I won't cry if its a bit over 20. Just don't want to get into a 1.030 stall situation.

Hops are going to be Mosaic, Simcoe, and Sabro Lupomax layered in the WP and DH and I may also do a small amount of FWH. Shooting for a beer that is reminiscent of Big Grove Brewery's "Big Ed".

First major question..............Do you keg? If not, be prepared to drink these extremely fast as they will degrade quickly if you bottle, if not almost immediately. Oxygen ingress is a MAJOR concern for brewing this style, and you can oxidate your beer even if you do keg without taking all of the necessary purging precautions.

If you keg, then the recipe looks fine. To be honest i've used Juice, 1318, Omega, and a bunch of dry yeasts, and i've never oxygenated with pure o2, and i've never had a problem with attenuation and yeast viability so long as i'm using the proper amount of yeast. The whirlpool most likely pulls in a bit of oxygen, and then transferring to the fermenter has opportunities for oxygen uptake.

FWH is a good idea, but just to get you to around 15-20ibus or so. Your biggest charges should be Whirlpool under 180 degrees (i typically shoot for around 160-165) for 20-30 minutes, and then either a single dryhop in mid fermentation, or split into a smaller charge on day 2, adn then a larger charge towards the end.

Should get you in the ballpark! Save your most aromatic hops and the lupomax for the dryhop, and use some of the more complex hops for the whirlpool like the Mosaic and Simcoe

Back