No Propane flowing from Honeywell Valves to Burners!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thismorningblue

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forum so go easy on me as this is my first post! :eek:

On my stand, I have two 24 Vac Standing Pilot Gas Valves that are serving as automation along with Love controllers. On my third gas beam I simply am just running it manually as the burner will be underneath my boil kettle.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywell-VR8200A2132-1-2-24-Vac-Standing-Pilot-Gas-Valve-11588000-p

I have 3 10" banjo burners and I the problem I am having is that only the manual burner is getting propane to it. The burners with the Honeywell valves are getting no propane when I set the switch to "on."

So my question to you (especially for those who may have the same set up or have run into similar problems) is why am I getting no gas flow out of those Honeywell valves?

1) My propane tank is only 1/2 full. Could it be an issue of not enough propane being forced in the hollow tubing where my gas beams come out of?

2) Might it be a pressure issue? And if so, how do I increase the pressure into the Honeywell valves to force propane through?

3) ???

There are no leaks, the pilot system that runs off of the Honeywell valve fires up fine, and as I mentioned before the manual burner works absolutely fine.

Brewery Stand.jpg

When you switch to on that only enables it to be turned on, it does not actually turn the valve on. You have to close the contact on the valve (the electrical part) in order for the valve to actually turn on. Ask me how I know :)

Ok so now I feel silly because I know you're all going to have a good laugh at my reply, haha. I did NOT wire the valves because I figured the thermocouple would initiate the gas flow once it reached a certain temperature while at the "ON" position. But it looks as if I need to actually wire the valves before any gas flow will occur at the ON position.

So now that it seems that this is the problem I will go ahead and wire the valves into the relay box I've built with Love controllers.

Question though. The Honeywell Valves only have two electrical contacts? If either of you have had experience with this, how exactly do I put a ground wire in? Can I ground it to my frame? I'm trying to hook these wires to an 3-pronged extension cord to go into the relay box I've built that I can set at my desired temperature.

Any information you have is appreciated! Especially concerning the wiring.

Cheers

If you feel the need to ground the system run a ground to the frame. The valve requires 24 V (as noted above) so you are not going to get electrocuted if there is a short to the frame. Just a fun little tingle. If you put 120 V to this valve the coil inside will melt and you will have a useless piece of metal.

Back