No more MillerCoors in Minnesota

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeatyPortion

Internet Bartender
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/13/news/economy/Minnesota_shutdown_beer/index.htm?hpt=hp_c2

Due, in part, to the impending state government shutdown.

MINNEAPOLIS (CNN) -- Miller Lite beer fans better stock up while they can.
The MillerCoors brewing company will soon be forced to pull 39 brands of beers from every restaurant, bar and liquor store in the state of Minnesota.

It's all because the company wasn't able to renew their brand label registration far enough in advance before the state's government shut down.
"What that means is they're not able to either distribute or sell their product in this state," said Doug Neville, spokesperson for the Minnesota Department of Public Safety.

Neville said the bare-bones staff of the state Alcohol and Gambling Enforcement department have reached out to MillerCoors for a removal plan, so he said it will likely be a day or two before the company begins pulling the product.

Minnesota shutdown costly for businesses

When Andrew Oliver of Minneapolis heard the news, he headed over to Surdyk's Liquor to stock up on Miller Lite, his wife's favorite beer.
"We just had a kid, so she's looking forward to Miller Lite."

Oliver's wife certainly isn't the only loyal Miller drinker.
"There's a big following for Miller products," according to Molly Auron, assistant beer buyer for Surdyk's Liquor. About 30-40% of the store's beer cooler is filled with MillerCoors brands, Auron said.
"The weekend's coming, people need their beer, so I think people are preparing and stocking up," said Auron.

MillerCoors, a joint venture of SABMiller and Molson Coors (TAP), actually put in for the label registration renewal back in mid June, but that application wasn't accepted because they "overpaid their fees," according to Neville.
A second attempt at renewal could not be processed before the license expired on June 30, and the government shut down the next day, Neville said.
"When they resubmitted their application it wasn't received in time for us to process it before the government shutdown occurred."
But Julian Green, a spokesman for MillerCoors, insists that the original application made it in before the deadline, and therefore, the license should have been renewed. Furthermore, Green said, the state never returned the original check for the fee, and now has two checks from the company.
"We will be exploring all options available to us, including legal" Green said.
Meanwhile, the beer company is trying to work something out with the state and hoping to resolve the issue quickly and keep beer on the shelves, which Green said is also in the state's best interest.
"With a 38% share of the marketplace, we believe that the state revenue or the state taxes that we would provide certainly would be sorely needed in the state of Minnesota," Green said.
Beer is just the latest in a long line of casualties -- including 22,000 state workers -- to fall victim to the state's government shutdown.

State control of beer licensing, brand labeling, distribution, is one agency that needs to be shut down. How about shifting those resources to bank regulation.

Ya I work for a engineering firm in Minneapolis and having all of our state contracts frozen really sucks I can only imagine what it would feel like having a liquor store and having to pull all our beer off the shelves because of the shutdown

Ha, don't kid yourselves. The rich get richer. I'm talking politicians that the idiots in the cities elected. This state sucks donkey dic".

Ya I work for a engineering firm in Minneapolis and having all of our state contracts frozen really sucks I can only imagine what it would feel like having a liquor store and having to pull all our beer off the shelves because of the shutdown

It's not all beers being pulled off the shelf, it's just those that applied for a renewal label registration and overpaid the state fee.

Governmental stupidity like this is why there is a shutdown. I'm no fan of sabmillercoorsmolson, but being shut out because they overpaid? Great job useless alchohol control board workers!

Laugh all you want people! It won't be long and you will have an entitled Governor that wants to make his mark on the world. Actually, before too long there will be two classes in the USA. The Rich and the poor. We don't deserve capitals.

There is still a limited amount of enforcement that is still working and you can bet they will be out collecting their fines. Either way, this won't stick, you really think MillerCoors doesn't have a huge legal team ready to crush this cause some poindexter pencil pusher in a state office decided they would have to re-apply instead of just giving them back the difference of over paying? Also I'm pretty sure the wingnut politics belong in the debate forum onthekeg.

Agreed. I didn't post this to spur political debate, though I recognize that politics are at play here; I posted this mainly because I thought it was interesting, but also because it was funny about the man saying Miller Lite was his wife's favorite beer.

Another article of the same, from the Star Trib... what's really awesome here are the comments. Check em out

http://www.startribune.com/politics/blogs/125490398.html

Also, here's a list of the beers potentially affected

Blue Moon Pale Moon Belgian Style Pale Ale, Coors Banquet, Coors Light, Coors Light 3.2, Foster’s Lager Beer, Foster’s Premium Ale, Grolsch Amber Ale, Grolsch Blonde Lager, Grolsch Light Lager, Grolsch Premium Lager, Hamm’s, Hamm’s Genuine Draft Style, Hamm’s Special Light, Henry Weinhard’s Dark, Henry Weinhard’s Hefeweizen, Henry Weinhard’s Pale Ale, Henry Weinhard’s Private Reserve, Icehouse Beer, Keystone Light Beer 3.2, Killians Irish Red 3.2, MGD Light 64, Mickey’s Ice Ale, Mickey’s Malt Liquor, Miller Genuine Draft, Miller High Life 12/16 oz can, Miller High Life Ice, Miller High Life Light 12 oz can, Miller Lite 3.2%, Miller Lite Beer, Milwaukee’s Best #1 , Milwaukee’s Best Ice, Milwaukee’s Best Light #1 3.2, Molson Canadian, Molson Canadian Light, Molson Golden, Molson Ice, Molson XXX, Olde English 800 Malt Liquor, Sparks Light

SPARKS LIGHT!!! ????

http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/

There is still a limited amount of enforcement that is still working and you can bet they will be out collecting their fines. Either way, this won't stick, you really think MillerCoors doesn't have a huge legal team ready to crush this cause some poindexter pencil pusher in a state office decided they would have to re-apply instead of just giving them back the difference of over paying? Also I'm pretty sure the wingnut politics belong in the debate forum onthekeg.

You bet they will! The thing that sucks is some bars and restaurants lose their ability to buy alcohol on the 31st. The smaller places won't have the ability to go after the state the way MC can and most likely will.

Yeah, I do feel for the bars that can't buy anymore. Just what anyone needs, the possibility of more businesses going under further hurting the economy.

Back