No hops from last year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

universalfrost

Keep your stick on the ice.
Reaction score
Afternoon,

last year I had absolutely no hops on any of my plants including my older centennial and cascade plants. I’ve also got three willamette plants that are only a tear old and nothing was expected from them...

a couple of times in the summer they got a little dry but were growing like crazy. I didn’t trim the bull shoots but I didn’t do that the previous years.

Any ideas as to why none of the plants produced a single cone?

I’m going to move my older centennial further away from the house because of it being drier than other areas and I also have home remodel plans for that area...

I’m thinking of doing some raised beds fir it.. also all plants have a south west facing exposure..

Aside from the dryness have you trimmed back any rhizomes that are sent out? Those sap energy from cone production. Of course they also like to be fed and need calcium, clean egg shells worked into the soil would do the trick.

When you move them you’ll essentially be trimming those rhizomes be sure the place you prepare has good drainage.

I would be hesitant to move established plants unless there is a compelling reason to do so. Disrupting the established root system will set the plants back a bit.

If the current location is no longer viable for some reason, then perhaps moving the plant is your best option. But I feel like that should be a last resort. Need more info:

How old are your centennial and cascade plants? How many hours of sunlight are they getting per day? Do you have poor drainage? What part of the country are you in? What’s the watering and feeding schedule? Do you use compost or other fertilizers? Did you observe any signs of disease?

Back