News story makes me want to clone Brother Thelonious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
I noticed a news story today about North Coast Brewing in Ft. Bragg, California is being sued over using the likeness of Thelonious Monk on merchandise without permission.
I've never heard of the beer and I'll never get it here, but a 9.4% Belgian Strong ale with 95% rating on ratebeer.com sounds good enough for me to attempt a clone.
There's been some discussion of cloning this here on HBT, but I found a decent recipe on another site:

http://brewgr.com/recipe/49277/brother-thelonious-clone-recipe

Here's the grainbill: 2.5 Gallons

lbs
75% 6.1364 Pilsner -
6% 0.4545 CaraMunich -
3% 0.2273 Biscuit Malt -
2% 0.15 Belgian Aromatic -
1% 0.1136 Special B
1% 0.0864 Chocolate
8% 0.6818 Belgian Dark Candi Syrup -
4% 0.3409 Belgian Amber Candi Syrup -
8.1909 lb

And the hops:
OZ.
0.44 Northern Brewer Pellet Boil 90 minutes
0.3409 Hallertau Pellet Boil 30 minutes
0.4545 Styrian Goldings Pellet Boil 30 minutes

Anyone ever had the beer or try a clone? Any comments on the recipe?

I noticed a news story today about North Coast Brewing in Ft. Bragg, California is being sued over using the likeness of Thelonious Monk on merchandise without permission.
I've never heard of the beer and I'll never get it here, but a 9.4% Belgian Strong ale with 95% rating on ratebeer.com sounds good enough for me to attempt a clone.
There's been some discussion of cloning this here on HBT, but I found a decent recipe on another site:

Brother Thelonious Clone Recipe | Brewgr

lbs
75% 6.1364 Pilsner -
6% 0.4545 CaraMunich -
3% 0.2273 Biscuit Malt -
1% 0.1136 Special B
1% 0.0864 Chocolate
8.1909 lb

And the hops:
OZ.

We've been to the brewery a couple of times years ago. Had their Old Rasputin RIS on nitro and suddenly realized Guinness was the Bud Light of stouts. I don't know if they had TM then but have discovered it since. Would love to clone it. Did you ever brew this and if so how did it turn out? Also any suggestions on yeast?

TIA

Dewey

Brother Thelonious Clone Recipe | Brewgr

lbs
75% 6.1364 Pilsner -
6% 0.4545 CaraMunich -
3% 0.2273 Biscuit Malt -
1% 0.1136 Special B
1% 0.0864 Chocolate
8.1909 lb

And the hops:
OZ.

Hey madscientist,
I have never brewed a Belstrong but have been checking out the recipes at candisyrup
http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html
there’s a few recipes that look similar. The recipes come with a bit of description along with some background that seems helpful.
Hope this helps.

I've had it and been to the brewery a few times (the food isn't good, but that is another story). I feel like they changed the recipe. I used to buy it on the regular. A few years back I noticed the label had changed along with the way it tasted (not for the better). Most of their other beers I like.

If the one recipe is from at least a few years ago or more, then it should be quite tasty.

Back