New to Campden Tablets, slight funk normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phug

Reaction score
I recently started my first batch from unpasteurized cider, so I used Campden tablets, 1/gallon. I waited a day, I pitched my yeast, and of course was paranoid for a little bit, until I saw some Krausen form.

Now I'm assuming that when using Campden tablets, it's normal to have a bit of a fart funk to the must? It's not super overpowering, but it's there, and almost smells like something just starting to go bad. I'm assuming that's the Sulphur Dioxide that you get from the Sulphites bonding to Oxygen, and then offgassing a little. We're not in Rhino far territory, since you have to take the lid off ans sniff.

This is my first Bucket fermentation, and my first 5 Gallon fermentation, so anxiety is high. This just look different, but I expect a certain amount of that. I have what Looks like normal yeast krausen forming, about 1/4 inch thick, but it's centered in the middle of the bucket right now, and there's about a 3/4-1 inch gap of clear cider all around the edge of the bucket.

RDWHAH... I know, I just want to get some validation.

I KNOW that I don't have a great seal on my bucket lid. But I'm not stressing about that. The bucket cost me a $5 deposit when I picked up the cider, and is a former Italian wine must (Mosto Para Vino) bucket, and I sanitized it, so I'm okay there. It may eventually turn into a bottling bucket, and I'll pick up a new one with matching lid to get a better seal for fermentation. OR, i'll just get a discounted (used) glass carboy for fermentation (Father's day isn't that far away).

I've never smelled anything when using campden tablets, I crush 1 tablet with a spoon and drop it in 5 gallons.......I've gotten no smell at all from them ??......

Just took a picture ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400108349.519402.jpg. Any experienced opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Stirred, thanks Yooper. This batch has a few new variables for me. Bucket, unpasteurized cider, campden, and size.

Left it alone for the long weekend and checked it after getting home today. Funk is significantly less, and fermentation is active with no krausen. I see it churning and fizzing lightly and it has that orangey/brown colour we've all seen. And has dropped 4-6 SG points. My anxiety is now gone. Time to let it ride and round up some more empties.

Back