New guy here! Question on aging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thespacejunkie

Reaction score
So I just built a couple of cheese presses and ordered some equipment, and next weekend I will be taking the first steps in making my first ever farmhouse cheddar! My question is this: If I want to cut my final block into 6-8 pieces and wax them individually (so I can date them and try them in individual stages 2 months, 4 months etc...), should I do the cutting just after taking it out of the press, or after it air dries for the 2-3 days just before waxing? Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi the spacejunkie, and welcome. I still consider myself very inexperienced when it comes to cheese making (only waxed once or twice) but I would think you want to wax only after the cheese is ready for storage in the cheese "cave" and that means only after air drying.. But there may be others who have a different understanding

I might be inclined to age the whole block at first, then at the first sample date cut a wedge and wax the wheel. Do this each time you sample.

Or maybe wait until first sample then cut all wedges and wax the individual wedges at that time.

After it air dries, for sure. Any whey left in there can become a mold problem. Flip it ever couple of days while drying. Don't wax if there's any evidence of whey coming out of the cheese.

I've only waxed once. I did same as you, cut it into wedges first. Dog ate most of them off the counter, *****. Waxed cheese (red for cheddar!) looks awesome, but vacuum bagging is far more reliable and easier.

Back