New Brewer's Friend Android Apps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewersFriend

Better Software for Better Brewers
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Fellow Brewers,
We’re very excited to announce that we’ve released 2 new Brewer’s Friend apps for Android!

Brewer’s Friend Premium
Our full-featured recipe builder, brewing calculators, brew session manager, etc. Sync your recipes with the cloud and your BrewersFriend.com account. Unlimited recipes and brew sessions so you can make unlimited delicious beer.

Brewer’s Friend Free
The Free version of our recipe builder, calculators, and brew sessions. All the features of the premium version, but limited to 2 recipes, 2 brews, and without cloud-syncing. Get a taste of the full version before purchasing.

Both apps feature:
  • Complete recipe designer with pre-populated list of grains, hops, and yeast. Ability to add your own custom grains.
  • Fully supports metric units!
  • Work in Specific Gravity or Plato.
  • OG/FG/IBU/SRM, yeast attenuation automatically calculated.
  • Supports All Grain, Extract, Partial Mash, BIAB.
  • Tells if recipe matches style.
  • Pick the equations and units you prefer.
  • No Chill – Extended Hop Boil Time Supported.
  • Target 'to the fermentor' or 'to the kettle' batch sizes.
  • Journal for tracking events like gravity readings, volume collected, dates, and tasting notes.
  • Tracks what phase the brew is in.
  • Brew timer feature supported.
  • Supports hop stands (whirlpool and hopback hop uses), recipe CO2 level field, milliliters as unit in other ingredients section.
  • Stand alone calculators.

premium_recipes.png

The apps are now available on the Google Play store. This is a major set of new features for us, so we’d be happy to hear any feedback or ideas you may have. Feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].

Looking forward to continuing to make great beer together,
The Brewer’s Friend Team

Hi christyle, unfortunately we don't yet have that feature, but we'll definitely consider it in future releases. Thanks for checking it out!

u should allow recipe search as well, the android version seems very limited. i have it, but the old one from brew friend, llc is more intuitive. hopefully updates to the new app are forthcoming.

Thanks jaydlaw; we'd definitely like to include our whole recipe database in a future release. Would certainly help in recipe creation so this is a great idea.

And yes, we're really excited to keep working on the app and have lots of plans to add to it, so keep an eye out for updates in the near future.

Thanks!

The brew steps checklist would be great to have in the app as well

Actually you have brew timers set up for each step so that's good, but I enjoy having the setup reminders within the checklist, perhaps carrying over those. Also syncing sessions is still not functioning.

If I have been using the Brewer's Friend FREE web based program, and I buy the Premium Android app..
1. are they the same?
2. Will I be able to sync the Premium phone app to the free web app?

double post...sorry.
But while I'm editing...I have also been using the Beersmith2 phone app and your web app is much easier for me as far as water adjustments and building a balanced recipe.
thanks.

Last edited:
Honestly, the only real difference is that you can see your recipes that are saved in the cloud. That being said, on brew day, I utilize the website, and feel as though the app isn't worth the purchase. Imo it cannot be used as a replacement for the website on brew day. I hope that this changes. Also u need the yearly subscription to their website before you can save more than 2 recipes. Try the website first. It is pretty good, better than brewsmith IMO. The app still has alot to be desired.

Honestly, the only real difference is that you can see your recipes that are saved in the cloud. That being said, on brew day, I utilize the website, and feel as though the app isn't worth the purchase. Imo it cannot be used as a replacement for the website on brew day. I hope that this changes. Also u need the yearly subscription to their website before you can save more than 2 recipes. Try the website first. It is pretty good, better than brewsmith IMO. The app still has alot to be desired.

I agree about the website...I have been using it for quite some time...you are limited to 5 recipes though, and I hate to delete some to add more. I/m hoping the phone app would allow me to use the website plus add more recipes...without paying the monthly fee... :tank:

I agree about the website...I have been using it for quite some time...you are limited to 5 recipes though, and I hate to delete some to add more. I/m hoping the phone app would allow me to use the website plus add more recipes...without paying the monthly fee... :tank:
you cant delete, i attempted. i paid for the website, i believe that its a yearly membership for $10. it is worth it imo. now the phone app. i bought it, but i seldom use it. there isn't enough there and there are still issue syncing brew sessions, and i like the checklist that i get on the website. i only use the app when i go shopping for a specific recipe. there isn't enough functionality for me in it. I'm hoping it gets better, but right now i wouldn't endorse it.

you cant delete, i attempted. i paid for the website, i believe that its a yearly membership for $10. it is worth it imo. now the phone app. i bought it, but i seldom use it. there isn't enough there and there are still issue syncing brew sessions, and i like the checklist that i get on the website. i only use the app when i go shopping for a specific recipe. there isn't enough functionality for me in it. I'm hoping it gets better, but right now i wouldn't endorse it.

thanks! I've had Beersmith2 on my phone for about a year and use it for the ingredient lists when I brew, but not during brewing...and the water amendments seem way easier on BF.

thanks! I've had Beersmith2 on my phone for about a year and use it for the ingredient lists when I brew, but not during brewing...and the water amendments seem way easier on BF.

If you aren't happy with beersmith, and have a laptop, then give brewers friend (website) a try. i have to admit the brew day checklist is pretty good, the recipe creation is easy, and while i am sure that brewsmith has more recipes in their database, brewers friend is nothing to smirk at. brewsmith definitely has more tools, and perhaps its because i am still a noob when it comes to brewing, but i perfer brewers friend, it seems easier, and has less of a learning curve.

Thanks jaydlaw; we'd definitely like to include our whole recipe database in a future release. Would certainly help in recipe creation so this is a great idea.

And yes, we're really excited to keep working on the app and have lots of plans to add to it, so keep an eye out for updates in the near future.

Thanks!

still curious about what I'll be able to do if I buy the phone app...I've used up all 5 recipes on the free web page but I would like them to sync..?

They don't sync unless you have a premium membership and the purchase app. First get the website subscription then you can get the purchase app. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but from what I remember, you need the premium subscription to the website before you are able to sync.

Back