New and need some help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piccioni77

Reaction score
Good afternoon, my name is Frank and I am new to this forum and newish to brewing.

About 10 years ago I brewed about 4-5 beers that turned out pretty well.

I don’t remember much and I own a food truck and hoping to open a restaurant soon.

I wanted to start brewing hard lemonade and possibly ciders, and kombuchas. I wanted to start with the hard lemonade and wanted to know if you had insights on what equipment or kit would be good for me to do this?

2 5 gallon fermentation drums
Air lock
Yeast
Star san
Hydrometer
Bottles

Does this sound right? And is there a kit that would be easiest or should I buy separate?

Also does someone have a good hard lemonade recipe as of recent? I saw the one for skeeter pee.

Thanks
Frank

You'll need Yeast Nutrient. Hard Lemonade is very acidic (obviously), and this means the yeast has a hard time starting. The nutrient will help it vastly. As for a recipe, it's not new; it's an old tried-and-true recipe, with tips and hints following the recipe. You can 1/2 the quantities of the ingredients if you want to make 2.5 gallons at a time. This 1 is for 5 gallons.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/bknifefights-hard-lemonade.407020/

Welcome to the forum, I can’t answer your questions, as I only dabble in kombucha and I’ve never made the hard lemonade, but many contributors can and will share info. Cheers!

I just bottled my cider. This is the second time I’ve made cider and for simplicity the first time I just fermented it out, bottled and primed. It turned out so well and was so easy, I decided to do it again after a couple years hiatus. It’s bone dry, which I haven’t found readily available commercially. The batch I just made is priming right now and though it has a fermented flavor and tastes appely, I can’t find any alcohol hotness at all. I think it will be very delicious when fizzy. Some other equipment you may want is the wing capper, bottle caps, a siphon pump, racking tubing (with tube clip to stop the flow), sanitation concentrate like Starsan, unscented oxyclean for cleaning, and a hydrometer so you know how strong your beverage turns out. I made a “hard selzter” once and it turned out nice, but was kind of technical to put together because it had ingredients to break down the pectin in the fruit I added and I had never used yeast nutrient and didn’t follow directions well. The seltzer came out weaker than I expected because of this, if I remember correctly. Anyway, welcome to the forum.

I just bottled my cider. This is the second time I’ve made cider and for simplicity the first time I just fermented it out, bottled and primed. It turned out so well and was so easy, I decided to do it again after a couple years hiatus. It’s bone dry, which I haven’t found readily available commercially. The batch I just made is priming right now and though it has a fermented flavor and tastes appely, I can’t find any alcohol hotness at all. I think it will be very delicious when fizzy. Some other equipment you may want is the wing capper, bottle caps, a siphon pump, racking tubing (with tube clip to stop the flow), sanitation concentrate like Starsan, unscented oxyclean for cleaning, and a hydrometer so you know how strong your beverage turns out. I made a “hard selzter” once and it turned out nice, but was kind of technical to put together because it had ingredients to break down the pectin in the fruit I added and I had never used yeast nutrient and didn’t follow directions well. The seltzer came out weaker than I expected because of this, if I remember correctly. Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Thanks so much for the info! Good luck with the cider! Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks so much for the info! Good luck with the cider! Let me know how it turns out.
I will. I’m not sure if it’s ugly baby syndrome. But for me, the stuff I make is way more delicious then 90% of what I get commercially. The juice was from Mott’s 100% apple juice, nothing added, not even vitamin C, which many store bought juice’s use as a preservative, but reportedly doesn’t harm yeast. I used a whole pack of Safale S-04 in a two gallon batch and the yeast started working almost immediately. Fermented out to 1.000 (started at 1.050) in about 2 1/2 weeks. Will clock in right at about 7% after priming, which adds about .5% ABV. The beauty of fermenting your own beverages is you are in charge of what you do. You do what you want.

I put a bottle of cider in the fridge last night. It cleared up quite a bit, but is still quite hazy from the original apple juice which was opaque. The cider is translucent and I can see some outlines of the TV through the haze, but still not at all clear. No chunks though and I was able to pour the whole bottle out without any sediment following, so very pleased with the appearance. Good strong apple flavor and the carbonation is perfect. The only criticism I have about the cider is that it is a little hot (alcohol) when it warms up a little, but all in all a great success. I definitely prefer the S-04 over the Nottingham I used last time I made cider, for the nice apple flavor, though that could be the apple juice I started with.

Latest posts

Back