NEIPA recipe thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobkaboni

Reaction score
Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 1.2 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 2 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.073
Final Gravity: 1.018
ABV (standard): 7.2%
IBU (tinseth): 46.87
SRM (morey): 4.8
Mash pH: 0

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 lb - Pale 2-Row (73.4%)
2.5 oz - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (4.6%)
4 oz - Flaked Oats (7.3%)
0.5 lb - Wheat Malt, White (14.7%)

HOPS:
3 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 12.39
3 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 17.28
3 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 7.06
3 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at °F, IBU: 2.31
3 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at °F, IBU: 3.63
3 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at °F, IBU: 4.19
5 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
5 g - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
5 g - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

The only thing I would change is your 30 min hop addition . I dont mess with them anymore . 60 min , then late in boil and big whirlpool at 170f . Other then that I think you'll be happy . If you like doing 30 min hop additions then stick with it . That's just what I do . You will get tons of people with different tastes and processes. For instance I'm finding myself not caring for simcoe as much as I used to . You may really like it . So brew you ;) overall I think your plan looks solid .

Yeah I'd move some hops from boil to whirlpool or dry hop. Right now you have 9g boil, 9g whirlpool and 15g dry hop. I do play around with boil hops sometimes with this style but I'm always using like 80% or more of my hops in the whirlpool/dry hop. Also if I were you I'd increase the hops. You're at 1.2 oz for a 1.2 gallon batch. I'm sure that will make a nice beer but if you have more hops I'd throw more in. I'm usually around 1.5-2 ounces per gallon.

I think the most important question now is: What yeast?

Similarly, one of the trademarks of a NEIPA is juiciness, and I don't think you have a the right hopbill for this style

I would not dryhop with simcoe and would replace with El Dorado or Mighty Axe Julius (to the tune of about 1.5 ounces for 3 days)

If you want the pineyness from the Simcoe...get it out of the boil and do a hopstand with it before whirlpool

Back