Need to wait before my minifridge arrives: How do I empty the beer line after disconnecting it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erkle42

Reaction score
title says it all. My wife says I cant use the main fridge so I need to wait for the minifridge to arrive. problem is, i couldn't wait and had to try my new toy(the beer finished brewing so i needed to transfer it anyways, so I filled the keg and a couple of half gallon PET bottles(kit made 23L/6Gallons) and then hooked up the CO2/regulator to purge the air in the keg). Well, as i bet some of you can guess, while the CO2 was hooked up for purging before storage I 'had a little sample'. now that the keg is disconnected and being stored at room temperature I have a beer line that is full and disconnected..... is there any way to empty this beer line after its disconnected?

Put some starsan in a keg and run it thru until clear.
but then i'd waste the beer in the line and in the keg? i literally just filled the keg with beer and im waiting for my minifridge to arrive to store it.

Push the little tab inside the QD and push down the picnic tap it will empty.
the little peg on the inside? kk

Edit: Thank you Sammy! that definitely helped me empty the beer out of the beer out tube!

Last edited:
but then i'd waste the beer in the line and in the keg? i literally just filled the keg with beer and im waiting for my minifridge to arrive to store it.
I think most people have multiple kegs and use a “spare” for cleaning. For example I had some lines sitting full inside my kreezer for a while not connected to kegs after the kegs blew. Yesterday I mixed up some PBW in a keg, pushed it through the lines letting it sit for a bit and refreshing a couple times, then I rinsed the keg and filled with hot water to rinse the lines, then I put some StarSan in the keg and flushed the lines. After a couple minutes I connected up the lines I wanted to use with new kegs flushing out the StarSan with beer/cider and left a line not in use filled with StarSan.

FYI if needed you can disassemble the QD for cleaning too. Use a quarter or large flat screwdriver to unscrew the part with the slot on the top. Use caution as there is a spring and small poppet. But doing this allows very easy rinsing of the tube without having to hold down the little peg on the inside.

If you have a picnic tap you can unscrew the valve too. I also just unscrew the compression nut on the disconnect side. Water just runs right through this way.

Back