Need some fermenting advice with this coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naaate89

Reaction score
Hello!
Just recently got back into brewing after taking a couple of years off. I have a better setup now so I'm really excited to see what I can make.

I brewed this coffee stout from northern brewer on Saturday: Peace Coffee 2nd Crack Stout Extract Beer Recipe Kit w/ Steeping Grains and I'm using White Labs Irish ale yeast.

It's currently Tuesday and I've noticed that my krausen has dropped to the bottom of the carboy and my airlock is bubbling a lot less. I know that the bulk of fermentation takes place within the first couple of days, but the recipe says to keep in primary for 2 weeks and bottle condition for two weeks.

I was hoping to rack to secondary and run it through a filter as I keg it. I then planned on keeping it in the keg for a week or two for carbonation/conditioning. Should I really wait 2 weeks before I rack to secondary? Or should I do that sooner and plan on moving it to a keg at the end of the two weeks?

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_105304.jpg
    IMG_20200602_105304.jpg
    1,020.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Good!
Skip the secondary, those instructions were probably written a decade ago.
Leave it where it is for another week or so, for some conditioning, then bottle keg it.

Just in case you didn't get the memo, look up (near) closed transfers into a 100% liquid pre-purged keg. Beer is transferred through the liquid out post, lid remains on the keg until next cleaning.

Back