Need Advice/opinon(S) on Hop schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaDzBrewery

Reaction score
I am doing an IPA with the new experimental hop HBC-342, from the folks that brought us cascade.. It will be a 1.068 sg, with

11lb 2-row
1lb 6oz crystal 60
10oz carapil/dextrine

I have 3 ounces of the exp. hops... they are said to have a citrusy/watermelon aroma during packing. with a 11.4 aa in pellet form. I am shooting for around 55-62 IBUs... been messing around with it, and come up with two hop schedules, which one do yaw think I should go with, or suggestions on something different ?Will be brewing this in the next couple days, so fast or any input would be highle appreciated.. cheers guys

My first choice...='s (BTW, this schedule would give me/us the full range of this hop, bitter, flavor, etc.. that's my thinking behind this..

56 IBU's

.5 @ 60min
.5 @ 45min
.25 @ 30min
.5 @ 20min
.5 @ 1 min
.75 @ dry hop

My second choice, alot easier, but not sure if it would give me all the profiles I'm after..

58 IBU's

1oz @ 60min
.75 @ 25min
.5 @ 1 min
.75@ dry hop..

Not a lot of difference, so just pick one.

You'll need some yeast to ferment that wort. Go with the most attenuative one you can get if you're going to keep all that crystal.

Not a lot of difference, so just pick one.

You'll need some yeast to ferment that wort. Go with the most attenuative one you can get if you're going to keep all that crystal.
Just to add, This is a 5.75 gallon batch. boil size is 7.25, you think it's too much crystal ? I've had more in an apa before, i was only going to put a pound in it, but bumped it up 6 oz. to get more of a copper color in the end.. Something about copper colored IPA's, look so delicous to me in a glass. I love that little bite crystal adds..

The c60 looks ok, but I'd get rid of the carapils. You have 15+% crystal malt with the two combined.

As for the hop schedual the first one looks better to me, but I would rather use warrior, magnum, galena, nugget, any clean bittering hop at the start of the boil and use all 3 oz of your experimental hops for flavor and aroma.

The c60 looks ok, but I'd get rid of the carapils. You have 15+% crystal malt with the two combined.

As for the hop schedual the first one looks better to me, but I would rather use warrior, magnum, galena, nugget, any clean bittering hop at the start of the boil and use all 3 oz of your experimental hops for flavor and aroma.
Already crushed all my grains together ;0( .. but anywho.. I do have i think a half oz or so of magnum, I could throw in at 60 min.. forgot about them.. I was thinking use the hbc-342 hops as bittering and all to see how it does.. but if you suggest the magnum then I could go that route.. Would the .5oz be woth it to use ?

how does this sound.. coming out at 66 ibu's

60 mins 0.5 Magnum
40 mins 0.75 Expiremental HBC-342(USA)
20 mins 0.75 Expiremental HBC-342(USA)
1 min 0.75 Expiremental HBC-342(USA)
Dry hop 7 days 0.75 Expiremental HBC-342(USA)

DaDzBrewery said:
how does this sound.. coming out at 66 ibu's

60 mins 0.5 Magnum
40 mins 0.75 Expiremental HBC-342(USA)
20 mins 0.75 Expiremental HBC-342(USA)
1 min 0.75 Expiremental HBC-342(USA)
Dry hop 7 days 0.75 Expiremental HBC-342(USA)

I find hop additions above 30 minutes don't contribute much flavor. Maybe something like this....

59 IBUs
Magnum 0.50oz 12.0% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 17.7 IBU
Generic Hops 0.25oz 11.4% AA Pellet @FWH min, 9.4 IBU
Generic Hops 1.00oz 11.4% AA Pellet @ 25 min, 23.4 IBU
Generic Hops 0.50oz 11.4% AA Pellet @ 15 min, 8.3 IBU
Generic Hops 0.50oz 11.4% AA Pellet @ 0 min, 0.0 IBU
Generic Hops 0.75oz 11.4% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop

I find hop additions above 30 minutes don't contribute much flavor. Maybe something like this....

59 IBUs
Magnum 0.50oz 12.0% AA Pellet @ 60 min, 17.7 IBU
Generic Hops 0.25oz 11.4% AA Pellet @FWH min, 9.4 IBU
Generic Hops 1.00oz 11.4% AA Pellet @ 25 min, 23.4 IBU
Generic Hops 0.50oz 11.4% AA Pellet @ 15 min, 8.3 IBU
Generic Hops 0.50oz 11.4% AA Pellet @ 0 min, 0.0 IBU
Generic Hops 0.75oz 11.4% AA Pellet @ Dry Hop
Now is that ibu% with a full boil. my pre-boil will be 7 gallons.. 17.7 ibu seems low for the magnum.. But I like the schedule , so if those numbers were correct, then I'm running with it.. was wanting to keep it under 60 ibu's anyways..

Yes full boil. I used BrewR (android app) set to tinseth, it gives almost identical numbers to pc programs, I think I have it set to 6.5 preboil amount tho, not sure how much that changes IBUs.

Yes full boil. I used BrewR (android app) set to tinseth, it gives almost identical numbers to pc programs, I think I have it set to 6.5 preboil amount tho, not sure how much that changes IBUs.
Cool thanks.. I'll go with it then.. thanks for the help.. forgot all about the .5oz of magnums I had, worked out good.. will let you know how it turns out.. thanks again.. cheers

Widmer does IPAs with experimental hops. The grain bill is similar to what you have. The hop schedule is something like this:

Warrior or similar - 100% IBU @60 minutes
Experimental hop - 4x the Warrior @Turn off
Experimental hop - 1/2x the turn off @Dryhop

So, you would do maybe:
1oz Warrior @60
4oz Experimental hop @0
2oz Experimental hop @Dryhop

Widmer does IPAs with experimental hops. The grain bill is similar to what you have. The hop schedule is something like this:

Warrior or similar - 100% IBU @60 minutes
Experimental hop - 4x the Warrior @Turn off
Experimental hop - 1/2x the turn off @Dryhop

So, you would do maybe:
1oz Warrior @60
4oz Experimental hop @0
2oz Experimental hop @Dryhop
Wow really ? I think I want to get some bittering units from it, as well as flavor and aroma, Since this is an experimental hop thats is going to be between 11-14 AA, kinda wanna see the broad scale.. you know.. I can see doing a hop schedule like that for a lower alpha acid hop. but still don't see how they would getting any flavor out of 4 oz. at flameout. ?

With a basic 60 minute boil, I like the following schedules for IPAs:

FWH/20/10/0/DH
60/15 or 10/0/DH

Very rarely do I veer from either of these schedules. I personally feel that 50,45,35,30,25 minute additions are a waste. You get minimal bittering potential, very little flavor, and no aroma. I would only add hops at these times if I wanted a very specific IBU goal and had too little bittering hops on hand at 60 min. to reach this goal.

If you want an aromatic IPA, reach 80-90% of your required IBUs from the bittering addition and focus primarily on your late additions, which will provide a ton of flavor and aroma. For a 5.75 gallon batch, I wouldn't dry hop with anything less than 2.8 oz. hops

Here's what I would do:

60 - 1 oz.
15 or 10 - 3 oz.
0 - 3 oz.
DH - 3 oz.

Wow really ? I think I want to get some bittering units from it, as well as flavor and aroma, Since this is an experimental hop thats is going to be between 11-14 AA, kinda wanna see the broad scale.. you know.. I can see doing a hop schedule like that for a lower alpha acid hop. but still don't see how they would getting any flavor out of 4 oz. at flameout. ?

A lot of what you perceive as flavor actually comes from what you're smelling.

I just finished brewing a HBC342 pale ale. I used 8lb 2row, 1lb Caramel 15L, 1 lb munich . Hop schedule was:
.5 oz Bravo @ 60
1oz HBC 342 @ 15
.75oz HBC342 @ 5
.75oz HBC342 @0
I plan to dryhop with 1.5 oz HBC342
S-04 yeast fermenting at 61-62.

I was going to use 8oz and do an ipa, but figured I would do a pale first to see how the hops are before using 8oz in a batch. I made the above recipe with Falconer's 7c's and it turned out great.

DaDzBrewery said:

I imagine they do an extended whirpool like Stone. If you whirpooled the flameout hops for 60 minutes + and kept the wort at or above 180*F you would get loads of bitterness, hop flavor, and aroma.

A lot of what you perceive as flavor actually comes from what you're smelling.
I understand that.. Which is why I now dry hop everyone of my beers,,, But my point of the experiment, is to see the broad scale of the hop including the bittering units.. I maybe worded it wrong

Back