My SG went UP! How?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labradork

Reaction score
Folks,

This one confused me and I was hoping someone could shed some light on what happened. I'm brewing up an all-grain Scotch ale which started with an OG of 1.065. I aerated it for an hour, pitched two smack packs of Scottish Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1728) and at 68 degrees it took off like a bullet. I've seldom seen as vigorous a fermentation. I maintained the temp at about 66 degrees throughout, and after 9 days it was down to bubbling 1/40 seconds. At that point I racked it to secondary and midway through the racking process I took a SG. I came in at 1.009 - lower than I had hoped, but oh well. I considered adding some malto-dextrine later but haven't done so. Two weeks later I decide to rack it again and cold crash it to improve the clarity - which is already pretty good, but I want it to be very, very clear. Again, midway through the racking process I took a SG. I came in at 1.012. That's .003 HIGHER than it had been two weeks earlier. Temperatures were the same in both gravity checks. I couldn't make sense of it, so I took another sample. Same result. Now it's tempting to say that I just misread the first SG, and that the 1.009 must have been higher. I can't say that's impossible, but it strikes me as unlikely. I am a biologist by profession, know my way around lab equipment, and am meticulous with my brewing. I could not of missed a gravity reading, especially by that much. So what happened?

Labradork

Folks,

This one confused me and I was hoping someone could shed some light on what happened. I'm brewing up an all-grain Scotch ale which started with an OG of 1.065. I aerated it for an hour, pitched two smack packs of Scottish Ale Yeast (Wyeast 1728) and at 68 degrees it took off like a bullet. I've seldom seen as vigorous a fermentation. I maintained the temp at about 66 degrees throughout, and after 9 days it was down to bubbling 1/40 seconds. At that point I racked it to secondary and midway through the racking process I took a SG. I came in at 1.009 - lower than I had hoped, but oh well. I considered adding some malto-dextrine later but haven't done so. Two weeks later I decide to rack it again and cold crash it to improve the clarity - which is already pretty good, but I want it to be very, very clear. Again, midway through the racking process I took a SG. I came in at 1.012. That's .003 HIGHER than it had been two weeks earlier. Temperatures were the same in both gravity checks. I couldn't make sense of it, so I took another sample. Same result. Now it's tempting to say that I just misread the first SG, and that the 1.009 must have been higher. I can't say that's impossible, but it strikes me as unlikely. I am a biologist by profession, know my way around lab equipment, and am meticulous with my brewing. I could not of missed a gravity reading, especially by that much. So what happened?

Labradork

1. Calibration of the hydrometer
2. If the liquid is cold or hot that effects your temp as well.

The only two things that comes to mind.

Carbonation bubbles forming on the hydrometer can cause it to float some (read higher) so give it a spin to make sure. Otherwise, what they said.

Back