My cold break didn't work

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I did a full volume BIAB brew for the first time with a 50L pot I borrowed. It's a high gravity IPA with about 150g whirlpool hop addition. I added Irish moss 10 minutes before the end of the boil and then used a wort chiller to bring the temperature down as quickly as I could

After cooling the wort I removed the wort chiller and left the wort in the boil kettle for the debris to settle. I started pouring the wort into the fermenter just over pitching temperature, but it looked like the cold break didn't happen properly as it was full of hop debris. I tried to leave maybe the last 10% of wort behind in the kettle but everything was full of hop debris.

After leaving the fermenter for 10 minutes the bottom 40% or so was green and the rest fairly clear.

I really love intensely hoppy beers so I usually use huge hop additions. Next time should I just skip the Irish moss and pour everything into the fermenter through a paint strainer or something?

Irish moss or whirlfloc doesn't work that way. It will definitely help coagulate proteins in the cold break but not necessarily remove them from solution or coagulate vegetal matter from hops. It will all eventually settle but further filtration is typically required through either the use of hop bags, a hop strainer, whirlpooling etc.

I suspect methodology might have made this problematic at best. Hoisting a boil kettle up and trying to pour off the wort and leave settled trub behind has to be pretty high on the Level Of Difficulty scale, especially if one doesn't allow sufficient settling time.

Lacking a drain valve with strategically located dip tube (optimally for most kettles: a side pickup) I'd recommend using a siphon to draw off the wort while leaving the stuff carrageenan is supposed to bind up and sink behind...

Cheers!

You could try a whirlpool and let it all settle for 15-20 mins then let it drain into the fermentor. I usually just use my long probe thermometer to get a good whirlpool going and then let it stop on its own which usually takes 10 minutes or so. Then I let it sit for another 10 minutes then transfer into the fermentation vessel. You should be left with a nice clump of trub in the middle of the kettle. When I'm short on time I have also used a fine mesh strainer to filter and aerate the wort as it's going into the fermentation vessel. You have to keep emptying the strainer though so not sure how much time this will save. Good luck!

Back