Multiple Questions: Yeasty flavor, smell/grain effeciency/home grown hop alpha

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewWNC

Reaction score
Ill get right to the point-sorry its so long.

1. I brewed a ESB recently using Burton Ale yeast and am getting a yeasty smell and taste. Grain bill was standard for style and FG was 1.063 (I did add bottled water to top off to 1.060). The yeast got a slow start due to low temps (heat went out) but I got it to 68 degrees within 48 hours and had active fermentation for nearly 3 weeks. I could not check FG- long story- but fermentation appeared visually complete (krausen gone, no bubbles). I kegged it and its been nearly 4 weeks from brew day and Im getting a yeasty smell and taste. Not terrible but very noticeable. I wondering if this is common with Burton ale yeast. Ive never has this before. I understand that this may eventually fade but any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. So I live in the middle of nowhere and buy grain in bulk. I do not have a mill and have the LHBS mill for me. I moved recently and the grain in buckets (food grade) appears to have shifted and impacted efficiency. I noticed this after brewing 3 beers and getting lower than average efficiencies (average 70-75% to 55-60%). The grain is also a few months old. Ive read that age may effect efficiency and to mash longer. So I have mashed for 90 minutes instead of 60 the last 3 brews with no increase. It looks like the grain in the buckets has shifted so large parts of the grain are on top and small particles are on the bottom. Like I said, I did not consider this the last 3 brews. I can assume this is enough to affect efficiency and even taste but thoughts would be appreciated.

3. I had a great first hop growing season and brewed a Zeus and cascade pale all with all home grown hops. I expected bitterness to be much higher based on general calculations but it is not. I know hop alpha will vary from area to area but Im more interested in more specific information. Is it common for first year hops to be less bitter as opposed to more bitter in your experience?

I have about 30 brews under my belt (10 all grain) and have never experienced issues regarding questions 1 and 2. Ive only had 3 beers taste "off" and none were yeasty.

Oh yeah, and my water is hard. Its well water that I have never brewed with before. It is not off tasting and does not have a noticeable smell. But this may be the answer to all my questions.

1. No, it's not normal in my experience. I get pretty clean flavors from Burton, mostly a light fruitiness. A buddy likes to work it at 62F to get a bit of smoky-sulfury note fwiw. I should think that extended cold conditioning may help with yeasty flavors... But it's hard to not drink the beer for so long?

2. Milled grain goes downhill within months. May be worth getting your own mill if you can.

3. No help to give here--sorry!

Good luck & keep brewing :)

Back