MOVIE ALERT: The Painting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I liked it a lot. But not the first time. A week after turning it off about 15 minutes in, I gave it another chance. Glad I did.

It's animated (mostly :) ). I remember an episode of Bugs Bunny where suddenly, in the middle of an animated cartoon, Bugs found himself in live video, a WWII battle zone, with jeeps and GI's. That was a long time ago when computer generated stuff did not exist. It sorta blew my mind. This movie does that.

Without giving away late plotpoints, it's a sorta dumb social statement about people being different, acceptance, yada yada, all the players are in a painting. I thought I was suffering through Frozen at first (I never finished Frozen - I don't want to build a snowman apparently). But about half way through, things get surreal, and by the end some existential ideas get examined. I TOTALLY didn't see that coming.

Probably not a movie for all, but it left me staring at the dark TV for a while, which is why I'm posting now. I had the DVD from netflix, so I want back and watched the artist "making of" and that was very interesting also, surprisingly.

Good for all ages. Might be a good one to watch with kids as it will draw them in with the animation and angst, and finish with some questions about mature topics that they will need to tackle eventually.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1891769/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Really looks like something I won't enjoy, but I'm willing to give it a go based on your recommendation. I will probably have to pick a night where everyone is willing to try something new, or a night when nobody is home to complain.

Really looks like something I won't enjoy, but I'm willing to give it a go based on your recommendation. I will probably have to pick a night where everyone is willing to try something new, or a night when nobody is home to complain.

TBH, I wouldn't do it. I liked it, but if you think you won't, then you probably won't. Plus, I don't want to be responsible for your disappointment :)

There's movies that I think everybody will like. This isn't one of them.

Meh. I'm not afraid of disliking a movie. And I understand that my preference in film is likely not aligned with the majority of film aficionados.

Who knows, maybe you will have turned me on to a whole new style of film making that I never knew about before.

I haven't see The Painting, but the title reminded me of this story about a new film titled Loving Vincent. While I think it may be an interesting story, what really grabbed my attention was the technique used to animate; I'll definitely go see this film. I thought I'd share the news story for those who may be interested.
Regards, GF.
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/a-loo...fully-painted-film-honoring-vincent-van-gogh/

Latest posts

Back