More beers grain mill motor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtvann

Reaction score
When's the last time you killed 20 lbs of grain at .030 gap setting by hand crank. Raise your hand ... yeah im all alone. My stupid motor doesn't have the power to mill that fine. It decided that pretty quick. Hand drill, same story.

If anybody else wants this cheap 200 dollar piece of crap, itll probably be in the for sale section soon.

What's a good motor at this point to power a MM3 ... that is not worth me just selling and getting Ss mill.

I've done ~25lb on .035 a couple times no issues... my drill is from 2008 and I don't even run it at full throttle. A modern one is probably putting out nearly 100ft lbs... I don't see how that would have ANY trouble running a little grain mill?

When's the last time you killed 20 lbs of grain at .030 gap setting by hand crank. Raise your hand ... yeah im all alone. My stupid motor doesn't have the power to mill that fine. It decided that pretty quick. Hand drill, same story.

If anybody else wants this cheap 200 dollar piece of crap, itll probably be in the for sale section soon.

What's a good motor at this point to power a MM3 ... that is not worth me just selling and getting Ss mill.

If you bought this motor from MoreBeer less than a year ago, simply contact MoreBeer for a replacement. They pickup the shipping and it does NOT cost you anything (one year warranty). If the replacement motor does the same thing, contact MoreBeer again for a return and this time for a full refund. Again, this does not cost you one cent.

I'm not sure why you would be trying to sell this at a reduced price on HBT when you can get a full refund from MoreBeer.

EDIT: Added the word "NOT"

Last edited:
Thanks for the reminder on that. It is within the year of purchase. When the gap setting was .040 it did fine. Doing biab now and .030, it's not cutting it.

I agree with DVCNick. It shouldn't take much for a drill to handle that workload. If the Morebeer motor and your hand drill are both struggling, then maybe there's an issue with the grain mill?

I have a Cereal Killer on the smallest setting (.025") and I barely have to squeeze the trigger on my drill for it to mill the grains.

Just get the American Aleworks motor and be done with it. Does exactly what its supposed to do no fuss. Sure its expensive, but it works, is safe, and requires little fabrication.

Back