Monk's Breath Abbey Ale Extract Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4you15

Reaction score
Planning on doing this brew next week and I had a few questions about the recipe...

It states that the OG should be 1.088, however after checking all the ingredients in a calculator it looks like it should come in at 1.080 tops, I was wondering if I was missing anything? I'd really like to hit the stated OG but it looks like I might need to bump up some of my fermentables.

Other than that I was wondering how long I really should let this sit in the secondary fermenter, I have seen a few conflicting reports for this style.

Any other tips or tricks for this style beer or to the recipe I plan on following is appreciated!

MONK'S BREATH ABBEY ALE
5 gallons, extract/specialty grains

Ingredients:
6 lbs. Liberty light malt extract
3 lbs. Liberty light dry malt
1 lb. De Wolf-Cosyns Belgian pale malt
0.5 lb. Briess victory malt
1 lb. clear Belgian candi sugar
2 oz. Czech Saaz leaf hops (2.6% alpha acid), 1 oz. for 60 min., 0.5 oz. for 5 min., 0.5 oz. at end of boil
Wyeast 3787 (Belgian Trappist high-gravity yeast)

OG = 1.088
FG = 1.018-1.022

The calculator should be accurate unless its not able to account for the fermentable content of the candi sugar. And once your in secondary you could let it sit as long as you like checking the gravity every 1-2 weeks. Id prob let it sit for 2 before checking initially.

Just an update on how this turned out:

My OG came in at 1.077 and the gravity when I transferred it to secondary was 1.020, I'm hoping that will drop a bit for the dry profile that I am looking for.

Unfortunately while transferring I had to leave about half a gallon behind because there was a hugee amount of trub, It did taste great though!

I left it in primary for three weeks before I transferred.

Latest posts

Back