Mobile Apps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I've been using Brewer's Friend on my Ipad........ it's a good app, but I find being locked into portrait mode annoying, as I usually use landscape format. It has pretty much all the features I need, though I find it easier to work on the desktop computer.
Any thoughts on the alternatives..... such as Beer Smith Mobile as compared to Brewer's Friend?

H.W.

i am using beer smith mobile on my android tablet. it seems to have almost everything that the desktop version has. it's my first use of homebrew software so I don't know anything different.

I absolutely love iBrewmaster2. It's the most user friendly that I've found, and I love being able to save and manipulate each batch independent of the actual recipe. Beer Smith's calculations are slightly more accurate, but it only took a couple batches to dial everything in.

Has anybody used "My Brew" for iOS? It looks like a beautifully designed app. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1415249630.399627.jpg

If you have an Android device I've found the BrewR app to be pretty useful. I'm also working on my own Android app called "Brew Shop" that will let you manage recipes against a list of ingredients you already have. My wife and I sometimes have trouble managing our homebrew inventory ("When did you use the last of the Cascade hops?", etc.) so eventually this app will help with that problem. Right now you can just create and manage recipes with it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brew.brewshop

If you have an Android device I've found the BrewR app to be pretty useful. I'm also working on my own Android app called "Brew Shop" that will let you manage recipes against a list of ingredients you already have. My wife and I sometimes have trouble managing our homebrew inventory ("When did you use the last of the Cascade hops?", etc.) so eventually this app will help with that problem. Right now you can just create and manage recipes with it.

I wonder if I'm the only one out here who looks at what I have in "inventory" and crafts recipes based on that? I have a wide and whimsical array of hops and grains, and often say to myself

"I want 6 pounds of fermentables and some crystal... shall I use that Victory... do I want to use Munich and some crystal, or use just two row and some munich and mash for lower attenuation? I'd like to use that ounce of hallertau, what should I bitter with? I don't have any Northern Brewer left... I could use Magnum...that pairs well, or Summit, but I've got an open package of Calypso....that might be interesting. I definitely don't want to overpower the Hallertau with a citrus hop."............. etc.

I've used rice and honey to stretch my fermentables when my inventory was low, and gotten good results. I keep corn sugar on hand as well as amylase powder, which I occasionally use.

I could really use a program that kept track of inventory...... do I have half an ounce or 3/4 ounce of Summit left? How much of that half pound of Nelson Sauvin is left? etc.

H.W.

I wonder if I'm the only one out here who looks at what I have in "inventory" and crafts recipes based on that? I have a wide and whimsical array of hops and grains, and often say to myself

"I want 6 pounds of fermentables and some crystal... shall I use that Victory... do I want to use Munich and some crystal, or use just two row and some munich and mash for lower attenuation? I'd like to use that ounce of hallertau, what should I bitter with? I don't have any Northern Brewer left... I could use Magnum...that pairs well, or Summit, but I've got an open package of Calypso....that might be interesting. I definitely don't want to overpower the Hallertau with a citrus hop."............. etc.

I've used rice and honey to stretch my fermentables when my inventory was low, and gotten good results. I keep corn sugar on hand as well as amylase powder, which I occasionally use.

I could really use a program that kept track of inventory...... do I have half an ounce or 3/4 ounce of Summit left? How much of that half pound of Nelson Sauvin is left? etc.

H.W.

Hey, good news. The latest version of our Brew Shop android app does pretty much what you're looking for. You can enter your inventory of malt, hops, and yeasts and optionally formulate recipes from just what you have available in your inventory. Check it out some time if you have an Android device.

Cheers! :mug:

Back