Making mead taste less yeasty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
I've got excellent fermentation and good clear and dry mead. Exactly like I was hoping for.
But now that I have had a few bottles of it, it tastes a little yeasty. I used Voss Kveik and a wild flower local honey. I'm getting a bready taste that I dont get in the mead I bought. Which may be because it was filtered and pasteurized, which obviously I cant do.
Would adding some fruit and spice take out the bready taste. I am leaning toward fresh Mango and habanero in the secondary for the batch I am fermenting now but open to suggestions.
Also would using a different yeast like a wine yeast help it not taste yeasty and bready ?
Would using store bought honey make less yeasty taste. This may get answered shortly, I have a batch that's fermenting for 3 weeks with store bought right now.
Would not using the yeast cake from the prior batch - well no, this batch I am drinking now was a fresh new non yeast cake batch.

Let me look at the yeast page you posted.
This mead was started 1st dec 2021. It was in a 75 degree house. It went clear about 28th Dec. I put in secondary 30th Dec. It cleared almost immediately. Then a week later I left the country setting the house to 55f. I returned 25th Feb where it was still beautifully clear in the secondary.
It was bottled on March 10th with maybe 4oz of honey to bottle carbonate. Its carbonated nicely and maybe a light white sediment in each bottle.

What is Voss Kveik's EC number ??? I thought it was EC-71B-1122. So 14% is its alcohol limit, that may explain why my current 5 gal (14lb honey) is likely going to take a long time to clear.
1 sec, as the yeast nears its tolerance limit and still has left over sugars does it clear or does it keep churning forever.
The batch I did with 11lb basically cleared so sharply on ~day 27-28. I am wondering if this would ever clear now.
And on a related note, say its at 13% and churning away and likely to churn forever, if I added vodka to the fermenter pushing the abv over 14%, would the yeast all quickly die and flocculate and sediment out ?

Last edited:
Are you drinking it right out of the bottle, or do you pour it into a glass? I almost always have at least a thin layer of yeast at the bottom of my bottles, so I always decant into a glass before drinking it. I usually leave about 1/2 inch in the bottle, to make sure I'm not pouring settled-out yeast into my glass. (Disclaimer: OK, so I often drink that last half inch from the bottle too -- it does taste yeasty but I kind of don't mind since it's just one mouthful.)

I decant it to a glass. In fact I decant it in 2-3 stages often separated by hours of settling time. The last glass also is very clear, and yes the last 1/2" and all the sediment is left behind.

I have tried redstone and fox hill (local meadery). Fox hill was far too sweet. Nothing like mine even though it was made with similar honey to what I used. Red stone however is not that sweet, I suspect its 1.003 or so FG (waiting for it to get to room temp to check it) where mine was .997.
However I notice a flavor of what I have to guess is a different yeast, but they also say on the bottle its been pasteurized. I'm going to check its gravity but I can taste some sweetness in it along with the yeast like flavors. So far I'm calling mine a success. Ofcourse the next 2 batches seem to be going down hill from this batch. Also that bottle I opened was made Feb 01 2021. So its been bottle aging for 14 months+

Or Hibiscus tea in the secondary. OMG that would be awesome. Because I have a ton of hibiscus, its a tea and hence a liquid and easy to add over big chunks of fruit, which I can add but it will float and this and that etc, plug up my tap etc etc and well, its freaking blood red in color. How cool would that be if it cleared out nice in primary, then I racked it correctly and the blood red secondary went clear too. Besides the astringent taste of hibiscus would nicely drown the yeasty taste I am expecting even if it turns as perfect as the first batch.

Back