Looking for a bottle filler that is foodgrade and not vinyl or PET plastic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Viking

Beer Lover
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm trying to make sure that all of my lines and everything that my beer will pass through is made from foodgrade plastic that is not vinyl or PET plastic. I already have a bottle filler but it's a cheap one so I'm pretty sure it is not food grade. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be really appreciated!

Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for! PET plastic is carcenagenic so I'm trying to do everything with food grade material. Personally I'm just pretty paranoid about coming into contact with plastics when it comes to beer production.

You'd better tell the FDA about your research then!

The FDA has approved both virgin and post-consumer recycled (PCR) PET for food contact. The resin has been thoroughly studied for negative health effects and found to cause none. According to a foundational study, “PET itself is biologically inert if ingested, is dermally safe during handling, and is not a hazard if inhaled.”

PET resin is stable. That means it doesn’t degrade when in contact with food or beverages, it resists corrosion, and it repels microorganisms. These qualities that make it ideal for food contact.

You will need to use swing top bottles as the crown caps have plastic inside the lid.

Also invest in these
https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Bru...stle+small+bottle+brush&qid=1625524666&sr=8-8
BTW
silicone is not suitable as beer line.

Hey everyone, I'm trying to make sure that all of my lines and everything that my beer will pass through is made from foodgrade plastic that is not vinyl or PET plastic. I already have a bottle filler but it's a cheap one so I'm pretty sure it is not food grade. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be really appreciated!
So you don’t consume any food or drink that has been packaged in plastic?
To piggyback on what @DuncB referenced above, the other part of that excerpt says— “PET resin is widely used in plastics that have food contact applications, from the ubiquitous 2-liter soda bottles to salad dressing bottles to peanut butter jars. The vast majority of single serving drinking bottles are made from PET. Specially-treated PET containers are microwaveable and used in take-out containers and single-serving food trays.”

Silicone is very oxygen permeable hence not suitable as a beer line. Silver impregnated only reduces infection. Not oxygen ingress

I was not aware of this. Since Silicone is oxygen permeable does that mean that bacterial can actually get though? What is the best material for lines then?

EVABarrier. Not O2 impermeable and 4mm ID provides great flow resistance for balancing draft systems.
Agreed EVA barrier is best.

It's a smooth tube but narrow so high resistance to flow, as we saw above large diameter tubes not practical.

@camonick
I think you mean much less permeable, to O2, you have a double negative suggesting that the EVA is permeable ( it will be to some degree but much less than other tubes).

Last edited:
Agreed EVA barrier is best.

It's a smooth tube but narrow so high resistance to flow, as we saw above large diameter tubes not practical.

@camonick
I think you mean much less permeable, to O2, you have a double negative suggesting that the EVA is permeable ( it will be to some degree but much less than other tubes).

Will EVA barrier lines make the beer taste off at all or are they just all around they best for lines?

Certainly don't in my experience,
Will EVA barrier lines make the beer taste off at all or are they just all around they best for lines?
No taste to the beer, very smooth so more difficult to get growth inside. I just flush thru with warm pbw at each keg change or once a month and then starsan rinse.
Oxygen ingress is the quickest beer spoiler and this is reduced with this tube design as well. Fits into duotight and john guest fittings.

I don't use the EVA for my beer engine as that needs a big tube working under low pressure, the cask is open to air anyway so any ingress thru a tube the least of the beers worries.
The beer gets drunk before it spoils. Also I use a bigger tube on the engine if using a demand valve and a CO2 blanket on the beer. But I don't leave the engine and lines full of beer if not using it for more than 24 hours.

Back