Looking for a ball lock relief valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TTfireman

Reaction score
Ok, this is a little more complicated than it sounds. I have a spike flex+ and a blichmann spunding valve. What the blichmann spunding valve doesn’t have is a relief valve on it. The only way to safely release the pressure is to put a ball lock gas disconnect on it and let that remove the pressure. That’s not a good way to fine tune the pressure, however. What I’m thinking is that I want a pressure relief valve that I can put on a gas ball lock connection. I can’t seem to find one online. Has anyone seen one or have any idea? Thanks.

The very definition of a spunding valve is a valve that releases pressure at a set point. How can the Blichmann product not have a relief feature? It looks like it has a barb fitting from which pressure would be relieved.

SPUNDit is a spunding valve that attaches directly to a gas ball lock post.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. It has a spunding valve that releases pressure by screwing it in. But I’m looking for a quick relief type valve similar to the one on a keg lid.

Spunding valves were designed to do a specific job. That job does not necessitate a prv, so it is not likely that you are going to find a spunding valve that has one. Spunding valves will either be connected to a pressurized container (to do it’s job) or could conceivably be connected directly to a regulator (for the purposes of dialing in what pressure it is set to). In both instances (vessel or regulator) a priperly designed model should have it’s own prv built in.

why don't you just buy the one that spike has made specifically for the flex + ? 15psi Pressure Relief Valve | Spike Brewing
whatever route you may choose, remember your flex + has a much lower pressure rating than a keg so you have to choose a 15psi or lower prv. A prv from a regular corny keg will cause your flex to blow long before you get to a pressure where the release valve would trigger.

The question and request is not as absurd as you're making it sound. He wants a manual vent in addition to the built in spunding adjustable PRV.

I'm not aware of a ball valve that has 1/4" FFL built in to the end. You'd need a few adapters to make it work. I can get you to 1/4" male NPT with an adapter, then you can thread a F/F mini ball valve on there.

The question and request is not as absurd as you're making it sound. He wants a manual vent in addition to the built in spunding adjustable PRV.

I'm not aware of a ball valve that has 1/4" FFL built in to the end. You'd need a few adapters to make it work. I can get you to 1/4" male NPT with an adapter, then you can thread a F/F mini ball valve on there.
I don’t think it is an absurd request. I just think it’s a niche enough want that there aren’t going to be pre-made options out there to fit his ask (and it appears that is true). I have chased several similar ideas of my own but I’ve recognized them as unique and looked to build my own solutions. I dob’t know if a ball valve would work for his needs, as it isn’t really any different then opening a spunding valve wide open.

Latest posts

Back