Long term secondary in a keg for 8+ months at room temp (Texas; 78-80°)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoup4me

Reaction score
I want to do a RIS and have it ready for Christmas. This recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=238807

I would like to just keg this after 1 month in primary and let it sit in the keg at room temp in a closet for the suggested secondary. (now ambient is 68-72° and in the summer 78-82°)

I'm in Southeast Texas and it gets hot here. Usually in the summer we keep this house at 78-82.

What detrimental effects will aging this beer at this temp be?

Should I just put it in my SOFC for eight months and keep it at 60-68°?) Only problem is that it ties up a fermentation chamber and requires me to change the ice every 24-36 hours.

For those that question why I have my thermostat at 78 in the summer it's because when it's 95+ for 4 months an electric bill can get expensive. We usually have it at 80° during the day and drop it down to no lower than 74° during the night when we're home.

From what I understand, the aging process speeds up with temperature, so maybe only shoot for 6 months of aging or 5? Is a cheap chest freezer with temp control out of the question? Shouldn't take much electricity to keep it at 70, especially if you have it full of water or something...

From what I understand, the aging process speeds up with temperature, so maybe only shoot for 6 months of aging or 5? Is a cheap chest freezer with temp control out of the question? Shouldn't take much electricity to keep it at 70, especially if you have it full of water or something...

It's not out of the question. but I already have a SOFC and a deep freezer with a temp controller for fermentation. Talking my wife into another piece of equipment for beer could be a stretch.

It's not out of the question. but I already have a SOFC and a deep freezer with a temp controller for fermentation. Talking my wife into another piece of equipment for beer could be a stretch.

So maybe just upgrade your ferm chamber size? A few cold crashes won't hurt and it'll be near perfect temp. Either that or be our guinea pig...

Back