Long Competition Oops (Sorry, Judges)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prpromin

Reaction score
First, this is not my first competition. I should know better.

I was at my LHBS yesterday picking up a few things and the guy behind the counter reminded me that their homebrew competition entries were due today. I groused about how I didn't have anything I wanted to enter, but said I'd think about it.

Last night, I popped open a saison that I'd brewed with Nelson Sauvin hops (bottled only about two weeks). I was really happy with it, but it wasn't quite done. I didn't expect it to be, but I was bored and threw one in the fridge the day before. Anyway, I figured that with judging at least a week away, I could enter that beer. It would have a week to sit and then maybe a day or two in a fridge. Yeah, it wasn't in its prime, but it might be good enough to win category and maybe a gift certificate (one of the prizes).

This morning, I printed all the paperwork, labeled bottles, blacked out the caps, etc. I walked into the LHBS and the clerk says, "Homebrew entry?" Yup. I pay the man my fee, hand over my bottles, and he says, "Judging starts in about ten minutes."

Oh Cr@p! My bottles were not cold. Heck, the beer isn't even done (that's my fault). He promised that it would be several hours before that category, and that he would put them in the fridge. Still, I imagine that when the judges open the bottles, they'll be mostly flat. I'm kicking myself for entering unfinished beer and a little embarrassed that I did so.

Judges, obviously I'll take a points hit big time for the unfinished beer. I really would like feedback on it, so do you think I'll get anything other than "this beer is flat"?

Finally, let this be a lesson. Ask questions before entering and don't enter a beer that isn't done. I'm an idiot. :mug:

I enter beer that isn't done quite often. If the entry deadline is a couple weeks away from the judging, I'll drop off an IPA I just bottled the day before. Hell, I've entered beer that I haven't even brewed yet if it's a popular comp with an entry cap. Worst that can happen is the beer doesn't turn out. Just don't drop it off for judging and I'm out a $7-10 entry fee.

Yours was a special case, though, it would seem, entering a beer on a whim like that. It sucks that your beer is getting judged when it's not ready yet, but being bottled two weeks I'd figure it was carbonated enough to not be considered flat, just maybe not enough for a saison. My bet is you'll get better feedback than you're expecting. :mug:

Back