Lockdown newbee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinyJames

Reaction score
Hello I thought I would say Hello

With C19 into it's fourth week I thought I would burn up some time making home made cheese and bread.

So Last year I bought a wine fridge for £30.00 I was listed as not working. Well to my surprise after taking up room in the Garage for 12 months I though I would fault find it just to see what was wrong with it, well nothing it's working great. Just to think I was going to leave it on the road for the bin men after the lock down.

Any way before I get to carried away with bits and bits

I'm 53 year young and I love cooking I live in Warwickshire in fact 16 miles from Leicester (M1)
I am a completely new to cheese making but love cheese as well all do.

Two years ago my dear wife bought me a soft cheese kit that I never used well in fact she bought me two cheese kits (one kit is out of date) how ever one is still in date this soft cheese kit is from cheese monkey

so I have just received a hard cheese kit from moorlands bought mainly for the press and it's bits of hard ware (mold, cloth,)

I have a large 12.5 ltr pan on it's way from amazon and some bamboo mats. I have just ordered my ingredients for Brie to start also cheddar cheese ingredients.

I have also ordered ingredients for Parmesan cheese as well really looking forward to this.

So my inspiration is John Kirkwood and Gavin Webber both have a YouTube channel

Any way I would Just like to say hello and thank you for adding me to your website
Be safe and stay strong
James

I get most of my cheese recipes and instructions from this site: https://cheesemaking.com/

When I spoke at HomebrewCon last year and served feta cheese to attendees, I used this recipe: https://cheesemaking.com/products/feta-cheese-making-recipe?_pos=1&_sid=1fa6af509&_ss=r

The recipes at that site are so easy to follow, and that's what started my cheesemaking adventures a number of years ago.

Do you have a source for good fresh milk? I used to, and then the farmer moved and my source dried up (quite literally).

Yes there is a farm 5 miles away with a good price 2ltrs @ £ 2.00 plus they make their own cream.

I've also found a good shop for whole meal flour, happy days

James

Can't go wrong with Gavin. Great fellow.

I love cheese too, and when it works it's magic. Much like beer. Sadly, cheese seems to be much harder if you're using storebought milk. I've had plenty of successes, and plenty failures too.

Back