Liquid Line Cleaner concentration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgmac

It's Brew Day!
Reaction score
I have a 32 oz bottle of 5 Star Liquid Line cleaner (LLC). On the label it states 1 oz per gallon of water, but everywhere I look online, it states 1/2 oz per gallon of water concentration. I tried to send 5 Star an email on their site but get an error when I submit.

Anyone know if I could damage lines or seals using it at the stronger 1 oz concentration, is it a mis-print maybe?

LLC.jpg

I don't know the basis for the discrepancy, but I'd go with what's on the bottle. Unless you're finding people online who are saying they used 1/2 oz per gallon, and it worked fine for them--and more than one person saying that--I'd just go with what's on the label.

And follow the directions.

I've always used 1 ounce per gallon. Does a good job and never causes any problems.

Same here. Either BLC or LLC (I happen to have a 32 oz bottle of the latter these days) use as labeled and it just works with zero drama...

Cheers!

If your cleaning your lines regularly a half ounce per gallon might do but as the others said using one ounce per gallon is a safe bet.

I highly doubt you would cause problems with a slightly higher concentration. National Chemicals, the company that makes BLC, make a whole line of chemicals for line cleaning. I personally have 'penetrate' on hand, which is essentially double the concentration of BLC in the bottle. They also have DAC which has two alkaline compounds in higher concentration for the stronger cleaning. Given that, I would think you could even go to double strength if you really need to clean out your lines well, and you would be fine.

As a side note, if there are no warnings against it, you may consider heating the solution as well as recirculating through your lines to increase the cleaning efficiency. I believe I brought up BLC to 135F for recirculation the last time I cleaned the lines (it has definitely been too long since I last did this!)

Back